Winter? What Winter?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Happening here too! Just looked over maples today and decided i better thread graft this week or it will be to late. Ridiculous! Good thing i wired the branches in place late last season. They will have to go in the greenhouse right after grafting. There is way too much time left for good frosts and freezing.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It started snowing at 3 today. We have 6 inches of snow on the ground right now. It's supposed to snow until Sunday morning. They are calling it a "significant snow event". We had more snow in November than we sometimes get all year. So the title of this thread, makes me a little angry.;) Luckily, I ran to the store at lunch to pick up essentials, so I have plenty of beer!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cold weather is here in TN...but all these posts of people's trees waking up will have me out looking closely at mine in the rain tomorrow!

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Staying plenty cold over here. Most of my root balls are still frozen solid, hopefully til April too. Or I'm in trouble

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Yikes! When do you typically get your last frost down in Houston? I know you have one or two largish trees, so an impending frost or freeze for you might pose some difficulty. Fwiw, I've been eyeballing my trees whenever possible and all the buds are tight, it's 38 F right now and drizzling... perfect!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
all the buds are tight, it's 38 F right now and drizzling.
Same here. For 3 weeks pretty much uninterrupted drizzle. Only the occational night without cloud cover, and dipping into frost during those days. By next week we should have -at least- a full week of frost. Needless to say.. My Mume is still very much asleep, and everything else pretty much too. Only some of the junipers are growing.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What a rip off. Wish I could send you some PA February, but the shipping would be a bitch

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I too was thinking you have some beasts...if your weather gets bipolar and has a hard turn. Will you do a bonsai two step? Or handle it another way? That's just crazy...but seen another guy from Texas...mentioning repotting by the leaves opening. I would be half tempted to forgo a repot for fear winter rears again. But that's just me.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My Maples and Elms are also budding here in N.C. Is that going to harm the trees when the temperature drops back down into the teens or low 20s?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I too was thinking you have some beasts...if your weather gets bipolar and has a hard turn. Will you do a bonsai two step? Or handle it another way? That's just crazy...but seen another guy from Texas...mentioning repotting by the leaves opening. I would be half tempted to forgo a repot for fear winter rears again. But that's just me.

Winters are pretty mild here. We might get two or three fronts through every year that might entail a dip into freezing temperatures, but even when they do it’s generally only a few hours below freezing. I probably won’t worry too much about something like that. On rare occasions a very strong front will come through - last year we had about a week in the low 20’s. When something like THAT hits Houston, EVERYONE comes inside, whether the buds are moving or not.

This is early for us no doubt, but not incredibly so. I’d guess 4-5 weeks early. It doesn’t seem like the weather has been unusually warm either. Highs in the upper 50s to the 60s, lows in the upper 40’s to the lower 60s it’s been pretty typical. A few trees are starting to move, though. To me that means I’ll have an early repotting season this year. Gotta make some soil.

- S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
My Maples and Elms are also budding here in N.C. Is that going to harm the trees when the temperature drops back down into the teens or low 20s?

In my case, I will not be concerned by temperatures in the 30’s, consider protecting the ones with unhardened leaves from a frost depending on it’s duration and severity (an hour or two at 31 won’t worry me too much) and I will definitely protect them from sustained cold below 30 degrees.

Last edited:
Top Bottom