Wintergreen boxwood (boxus)

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alright, so I work at plant nursery and am studying horticulture for my college major and have just gotten into bonsai. I have been look at plants to bonsai, and this is what I ended up with, a wintergreen boxwood.

Started out with the shrub being about 18 inches wide and 20 inches or so from the top to the starting of the roots. Then trimmed off a lot of the heavy roots, beings it was field grown, along with the foliage to keep the plant from stressing. Then potted in a temporary pot to get some healthy roots established. Then about a week later, styled a bit along with just a tiny bit of wiring, i liked the shape, so not much was needed.

Please tell me what you think and any suggestions for the plant and i need some suggestions for a pot in the future. Thanks!

Attachments

• 100_1196.jpg
    100_1196.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 100_1201.jpg
    100_1201.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_1203.jpg
    100_1203.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_1206.jpg
    100_1206.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 136

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice start and nice material.

First off, forget the wiring (mostly) with boxwood. It's not only ineffective, if done improperly, it can severely damage limbs. Boxwood have extremely thin bark that wire will abrade or completely remove if the wire is torqued wrong in application or removal.

Design-wise, you're on the right track. However, two trunk won't work with this tree effectively, since both are pretty much the same size, giving it a "slingshot" look. In most effective two trunk designs, one trunk is subordinate to the other. Although there are exceptions, they're very hard to pull off, even for experts.

You're waaay too ahead of yourself to consider a "show" pot at this point. You have some development work to do with foilage and branches. The current pot is excellent for this work. Down the road, however, a low oval (glazed or unglazed) will work for this tree.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Wiring can be done if you prewrap the branch with coach wrap (look for postings from Behr Appleby/Grampz)..Airline tubing can also be used to reposition a branch (guywires).
Irene

Top Bottom