Wintergreen boxwood help please

ddhart

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi this is my first post, I've had this boxwood for a couple of years. Not sure what I should do with it so I did nothing. So I was hoping for a little guidance. I was thinking of pruning those long branches and possibly wiring. It is very leggy. I also wonder should this plant be exposed to cold weather. I live in the north east , Massachusetts. So winter could be tough. I have kept it indoors these last two years but has been outside for spring summer fall.
My research on this plant really hasn't come up with definite guide lines. But feel I should put it in a cooler part of my home with good lighting. Honestly I was told by a family member it was a burning bush expected the leave to drop. As I was leaving out with the cold approaching. That's when I realized my error lol IMG_20221023_145408331.jpgIMG_20221023_145420856.jpgIMG_20221023_145513902.jpgIMG_20221023_145522166.jpg

ddhart

Seedling
Reaction score
I wanted to add I really loved how this was leaning/ sweeped to one side with some root showing.😊

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I know nothing about boxwood but I'm sure someone knowledgeable about them will chime in.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Has this tree been inside for 2 years?
I’m wondering about the fall like colors

I would put this tree outside the house but with protection for the winter. Unheated garage, cellar, cold frame, window well with mulch, all would do the trick.

ddhart

Seedling
Reaction score
Has this tree been inside for 2 years?
I’m wondering about the fall like colors

I would put this tree outside the house but with protection for the winter. Unheated garage, cellar, cold frame, window well with mulch, all would do the trick.
Ok thank you, yes I have an unheated garage. Yes for two winters it has been indoors. It has the fall colors because I had left it out side for two weeks, it's been getting down into the 40s F. But I read on line that has to do with watering issues. It may have gone dry this pass week. Having to do with fall colors of the leaves Thank you for your response.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
'Wintergreen' boxwood is listed as Buxus sinica var insularis 'Wintergreen'. It used to be considered a variety of Buxus microphylla, the Japanese boxwood, but the actual provenance shows it is a cultivar of the Chinese boxwood. It is likely winter hardy to zone 7. Roughly 0 F to + 10 F.

Though personally I would try to keep it 25 F or warmer because it is in a pot. Roots tend to be less hardy than branches.

I have a Buxus sempervirens that has been outdoors in a pot, just set on the ground for 30 years, through frequent dips to - 17 F. But it is in a large diameter pot, and sempervirens is much more winter hardy than microphylla or sinica.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Sorce

ddhart

Seedling
Reaction score
'Wintergreen' boxwood is listed as Buxus sinica var insularis 'Wintergreen'. It used to be considered a variety of Buxus microphylla, the Japanese boxwood, but the actual provenance shows it is a cultivar of the Chinese boxwood. It is likely winter hardy to zone 7. Roughly 0 F to + 10 F.

Though personally I would try to keep it 25 F or warmer because it is in a pot. Roots tend to be less hardy than branches.

I have a Buxus sempervirens that has been outdoors in a pot, just set on the ground for 30 years, through frequent dips to - 17 F. But it is in a large diameter pot, and sempervirens is much more winter hardy than microphylla or sinica.
Thank you so much! The temps have been 35-69 here in Massachusetts USA for last few weeks. I can find a spot in my garage, and monitor the temp. As far as sun light should I put it in one of the windows? Also in terms of watering should I water weekly still by submerging pot in water? I thought I read in my research to back off some on watering in winter. Thanks again I appreciate your help.

ddhart

Seedling
Reaction score

Sorce
This is awesome thank you will read through this thread👍

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wintergreen boxwood is very winter hardy, to zone 4 or 5.

It will be fine outside on the ground in a garden bed or sheltered spot out of the wind (make sure drainage holes in the pot don't get blocked) and under mulch. I would not keep it indoors (garage or otherwise). Too dark and

This variety tends to "bronze" its foliage in the winter--leaves change color from green to well, bronze. Doesn't mean it's having issues. Many boxwood cultivars do the same thing. They green up again in the spring. Biggest problem will be keeping the plant soil moist (which the mulch covering will help) and keeping it out of drying winter winds. Also keep it in a place that is out of direct sun and that gets bright indirect light.

ddhart

Seedling
Reaction score
Ok good to know, I will keep this in my mind as I decide where to put this little guy. I think our garage actually would work fine. We have several large windows that are north south and west facing. So plenty of bright light. We get a lot of snow here in northeast. So for first wintering might be better inside. So will see.. thank you 😊

ddhart

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm thinking I will let it sit out side while the winter is some what mild. 25-40 F. Mulched roots..when heavy snow storms come through I'll move it into the garage near one of the windows. I just feel better doing this,. My other bonsai are all tropical. This is my first outdoor Bonsai, so just being cautious.. actually I do have another one outside. 🤔 It has done amazing.which was a lilac I had made into a bonsai. I need to learn more to get that to bloom. Thanks everyone , this site is such a help great collective knowledge

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok good to know, I will keep this in my mind as I decide where to put this little guy. I think our garage actually would work fine. We have several large windows that are north south and west facing. So plenty of bright light. We get a lot of snow here in northeast. So for first wintering might be better inside. So will see.. thank you 😊
Light through a window is less than 50 percent of the sunlight that passes through it.

As for the snow, that is your friend in overwintering trees. It provides insulation and moisture. If it covers the tree completely, all the better. No wind will get it and the temp underneath it remains pretty stable.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Light through a window is less than 50 percent of the sunlight that passes through it.

As for the snow, that is your friend in overwintering trees. It provides insulation and moisture. If it covers the tree completely, all the better. No wind will get it and the temp underneath it remains pretty stable.
First of all, I think this is sound advice. This plant has been inside for 2 years. Does that alter its cold hardiness?
Just curious what your take on this is.

ddhart

Seedling
Reaction score

ddhart

Seedling
Reaction score
Oh ok, I think I have a good place in the yard I will be brave and mulch it well.
I will put it with my lilac tree. I'm sure it will survive. It will make me nervous 😉 but sounds like it will be good plan. Thank you very much!

Top Bottom