Wintering a boxwood

Bruce gagnon

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a couple boxwood bonsais in training. It’s getting vey cold at night and when o checked them this morning the soil is frozen.
What should I do? They are on a screen porch with storm windows… will these survive?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 24

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They're Hardy to zone 5, depending on species, tough trees. I usually subtract a zone for being in a pot, but that's still down to 0F ... Curious what others say, but I leave mine out here in southern Ohio, just protecting the pot with some mulch.
Good luck,

Brent

Bruce gagnon

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They're Hardy to zone 5, depending on species, tough trees. I usually subtract a zone for being in a pot, but that's still down to 0F ... Curious what others say, but I leave mine out here in southern Ohio, just protecting the pot with some mulch.
Good luck,

Brent
Does the soil freeze ? Worried the roots will die

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yep, the soil will freeze and they’ll be just fine. For winter hardy material you want to try to protect from repeated, rapid cycles of freeze and thaw.

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
Same here, my kingsville stay on the bench or on the ground, no special treatment. They do just fine.
NC zone7

Bruce gagnon

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’ve read that I should water a little in the winter but it doesn’t make sense if the soil freezes

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine are tuff as nails and freeze every year/ No worries. I try to water heavy before a forecasted freeze.
Welcome to the Nut House:)

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
New Hampshire , you will need someone in your neck of the woods to give you advice.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most boxwood are fine and mine sit outside here in zone 6. Small boxwood in small pots get protected either heeled in or in a coldframe. My Kingsville are all in coldframes.
As to watering in winter. Watering is obviously not needed as much as during the growing season but it is imperative that the roots don't freeze dry. I mean that literally, freeze dry, think of instant coffee.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And don't freak out when they turn bronze. Normal too.

papkey5

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I’ve read that I should water a little in the winter but it doesn’t make sense if the soil freezes
Overwintering anything that is hardy to your area requires that the soil be kept moist. It seems counterintuitive but watering them well before a freeze actually insulates the roots. Plants will go through many freeze and thaw cycles throughout winter because of warm days and freezing nights. This will dry out the soil and that is when plants will die.

whether you cover, mulch, or do nothing but keep the soil moist by checking it every few days is up to you, your preference and experience.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have Buxus sempervirens, common or European box. I simply set the pot on the ground for the winter. It has survived -17F without loosing any branches. Turns a yellow-ish color in winter, greens up in spring.

Buxus sempervirens is hardy into zone 5a or 4b. Other species are less hardy, but Buxus microphylla (Korean or Japanese box) is almost as hardy, 6a or 5b. Other species are less hardy, zone 7 for most.

The Wiki page is informative

Treefer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My set up is similar to yours - screened porch w /storm windows. Because mine has a concrete floor, I use styrofoam insulation under the pots. No problem with buxus. Zone 6b southwest PA.

I lightly water once a week in December. Once every two to four weeks in January and february.

Top Bottom