Wintering Bonsai in Greenhouse

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My Bonsai are in Greenhouse. This is my first winter letting my bonsai stay out the whole winter. It is in the lower twenties at night and my bonsais seem fine, but the soil seems a little hard. They are on wire shelves in a greenouse next to the apartment wall on my balcony. I am worried will they be ok or should I bring them in?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Are those the inside temps in the greenhouse? What is the structure of the greenhouse? Species in your collection...

I've some trees that can take high teens...I've some which can't go below 32F. So my controlled cold greenhouse I have a thermometer with alarm to let me know if I need my secondary heater on...or windows and door open to vent on a warm winters day.

How often are you watering? If the substrate is frozen...and you have snow available I tend to cover my pots with it. Which will offer hydrating the roots when it warms.

Lots of variables.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
the inside day temp is about 38 degrees F and night time about 30 degrees f. I have several maples and junipers, arctic willow, weeping willow, olive tree, gingko, himalayan birch, purple beech, crabapple, little walnut, giant seqoiua, and some cherry seedlings and a japanese maple seedling, azalea, jbp, dawn redwood, bald cypress, and I think that is about it. The soil feels hard like it is frozen should I panic? I water when they need it about every week and half in the cold weather or longer. I check everyday the temps and I have a heating pad I turn on at night I am not sure that it does anything, but hopefully it helps. The structure is pvc with a plastic green cover.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
the inside day temp is about 38 degrees F and night time about 30 degrees f. I have several maples and junipers, arctic willow, weeping willow, olive tree, gingko, himalayan birch, purple beech, crabapple, little walnut, giant seqoiua, and some cherry seedlings and a japanese maple seedling, azalea, jbp, dawn redwood, bald cypress, and I think that is about it. The soil feels hard like it is frozen should I panic? I water when they need it about every week and half in the cold weather or longer. I check everyday the temps and I have a heating pad I turn on at night I am not sure that it does anything, but hopefully it helps. The structure is pvc with a plastic green cover.
None of these are species you need to worry about in my opinion.

Top Bottom