Wintering New Bonsai

sydneygf

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ah, yes, another "I got a bonsai for Christmas and I don't know what to do with it" thread. ;)

Was surprised with a 3 year old, 6-8" Green Mound Juniper. After doing some reading, this is a species that needs to have a cold dormant period to be healthy. Currently, it's 19 degrees out, so I'm worried that even if I put it in the garage, it'll get shocked. It's still green and in a small pot. It's been in the house for at least two days now. Am I fine to put it in the garage? What do I need to do to protect the roots?

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ah, yes, another "I got a bonsai for Christmas and I don't know what to do with it" thread. ;)

Was surprised with a 3 year old, 6-8" Green Mound Juniper. After doing some reading, this is a species that needs to have a cold dormant period to be healthy. Currently, it's 19 degrees out, so I'm worried that even if I put it in the garage, it'll get shocked. It's still green and in a small pot. It's been in the house for at least two days now. Am I fine to put it in the garage? What do I need to do to protect the roots?

Hi and welcome to the site.

Ironically my wife gave me a green mound juniper ( Juniperus procumbens nana). That was a year ago and I have been hooked ever since.

Couple of things to help you and us is -
1. Can u put your location in with your avatar please. This helps us give correct/proper advice.
2. Juniper’s and most Bonsai apart from tropicals live OUTSIDE. Although unheated garage would be good option if it 19deg F out Brrr. Because it wouldn’t cope with that amount of cold I don’t think.
Roots should be fine in garage and only water little ( approx once a week).

Others hopefully will add their wisdom and there are plenty of over-wintering threads here at the Nut-house lol.
Good luck,
Charles

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Because it wouldn’t cope with that amount of cold I don’t think.
Normally, these temperatures are nothing to worry about with junipers. They will take that and laugh at it.

However, as you do not know how it was kept before it reached your place, protect it from frost for now. Trees need to get used to the cold before they are frost resistent. If they missed fall, because of being indoors, they are not ready for frost. Next year, leave it outside in fall and no worries.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a cutting that is doing ok in a @70degree basement with minimal light.

So long as you don't give it light and try to make it grow...you should be ok.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

sydneygf

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi and welcome to the site.

Ironically my wife gave me a green mound juniper ( Juniperus procumbens nana). That was a year ago and I have been hooked ever since.

Couple of things to help you and us is -
1. Can u put your location in with your avatar please. This helps us give correct/proper advice.
2. Juniper’s and most Bonsai apart from tropicals live OUTSIDE. Although unheated garage would be good option if it 19deg F out Brrr. Because it wouldn’t cope with that amount of cold I don’t think.
Roots should be fine in garage and only water little ( approx once a week).

Others hopefully will add their wisdom and there are plenty of over-wintering threads here at the Nut-house lol.
Good luck,
Charles

Hi there, I live in south eastern Washington state.

sydneygf

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Normally, these temperatures are nothing to worry about with junipers. They will take that and laugh at it.

However, as you do not know how it was kept before it reached your place, protect it from frost for now. Trees need to get used to the cold before they are frost resistent. If they missed fall, because of being indoors, they are not ready for frost. Next year, leave it outside in fall and no worries.

How do I go about protecting it from frost?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Your juniper probably came from a warm greenhouse and hasn't had a chance to go dormant.... so ... I would suggest trying to keep inside this winter, preferably in a cool southerly facing window. Once the risk of freezes are over this coming spring, get it outside and leave it there.

sydneygf

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Your juniper probably came from a warm greenhouse and hasn't had a chance to go dormant.... so ... I would suggest trying to keep inside this winter, preferably in a cool southerly facing window. Once the risk of freezes are over this coming spring, get it outside and leave it there.[/QUOTE

Our house is usually at ~65 degrees. It's currently sitting on the end of our dining room table which faces south. Two big windows right there. Shall it stay there until spring?

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If the garage stays cold, but above 25F, I would put it in there for this winter if I were you. Then winter it outside next winter and after.

sydneygf

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If the garage stays cold, but above 25F, I would put it in there for this winter if I were you. Then winter it outside next winter and after.

The garage is pretty drafty and not very weatherproof, haha. However it is 25 outside right now. Ive attached the forecast, it seems it will be warming up a bit. Maybe that's good and it will help prep the tree for the next drop in temp. Do I still need to protect the roots from chill? How do I do that?

Attachments

• IMG_1238.PNG
    IMG_1238.PNG
    93.6 KB · Views: 11

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I'm in North Idaho and came into some surprise winter trees too. I've opted to put them in a cold windowsill with low light until temps outside are well above freezing day & night. Twenties is too cold for a tree that has came from a greenhouse.

sydneygf

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm in North Idaho and came into some surprise winter trees too. I've opted to put them in a cold windowsill with low light until temps outside are well above freezing day & night. Twenties is too cold for a tree that has came from a greenhouse.

I'm thinking I will keep the tree inside this winter. It's obviously not dormant and I'd hate to kill it putting it outside :( the temps are fluctuating too much right now, I think.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm thinking I will keep the tree inside this winter. It's obviously not dormant and I'd hate to kill it putting it outside :( the temps are fluctuating too much right now, I think.
Not knowing where it came from...a green house from the south...its hard to decide where to winter. I wish you the best...

Top Bottom