Wintering newly purchased trees

Thanasi

Seedling
Reaction score
I just purchased some trees (early Xmas present to my self). These are currently in their nursery 1 to 7 gallon plastic black pots. Not sure how to winter them. I have a pretty nice collection of deciduous and some conifers (established bonsai and pre bonsai). Before winter I typically bury the maples, azaleas, boxwoods etc, with their pots in an area of my yard, leave the junipers and other established conifers covered with mulch on the ground and bring the non hardy ones in my unheated porch.

However the trees that I just bought cost me a pretty penny. If and when I purchase a nursery tree (which is usually after winter) I automatically repot it in turface and get it out of the soil it came in. However these are in the nursery pots and soil, and I don't and can't repot them now because of the oncoming winter months. Any suggestions would be helpful. The trees are:

2 Fagus sylvatica (mercedes, franken)
3 Pinus strobus (krugers liliput, courtland rose)
2 Pinus parviflora (catherine elizabeth)
2 Pinus banksiana (uncle foggy)
1 Larix kaempferi (diana)
2 Ginko Bilioba (korinek and troll)
1 Cedrus libani (bergkristal)

Thanks!!!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
When in the ground, all these species can stand very low temps so I'd say they don't risk much in such big pots. I'd put them is a "protected" place outside, against a wall for instance, and cover them with wintering canvas if the temps really get very cold (under 5° C, below 23 F), to be on the safe side.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would do what the commercial nurseries do and just heel them in for the winter. I do see a lot of nurseries cover with canvas in cold and windy exposed areas when they lay them on the ground.

Thanasi

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch. I went one step further and actually buried the pots. Drilled holes on the sides to make them like colanders. Will take them out in spring time.

Top Bottom