Wintering Over on Balconies, Window wells, etc… request for information.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Greetings Folks!

Presently I’ve ben doing research on successful wintering over strategies. At this point I’m particularly interested in bonsai hobbyists that are constrained by their wintering over area. Folks that use balconies, window wells etc and have come up with good, workable solutions. Solutions which allow one to winter over their trees safely so they can pursue bonsai.

The types, sizes, ages, style and compositions of trees in the collection doesn’t matter. Methods and materials do. I’m particular interested in the wintering over of azaleas, but please don’t let that stop you from posting. But please mention if you have azaleas in your collection.

So this is a call for information and especially images of these situations. A brief description of the collection, precautions used, or “layers of protection” would be very enlightening.

As an example here’s @kale ’s innovative window well solution, which he has kindly allowed me to use.

806C5D2B-B56C-4FFB-8C0E-824EB1AE1085.jpeg2EB29931-5FE3-40D8-AC26-C2CC87CDF841.jpeg

cheers
DSD sends

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When I lived in Chicago I overwintered in shelves in an unheated garage. However for zone 8b why do you need to protect anything at all (at least short of tropicals)? I'm in zone 7b/8a and I just leave everything on their benches. Tropicals I bring indoors for about two months... though last year I had them back out on the benches on March 1.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A buddy of mine has wooden boxes that he positions next to the balcony windows.
The windows provide some heat, the wood insulates a little and keeps moisture levels decent.

When I lived in an appartment, I didn't protect them at all but -15°C is the lowest we got.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A buddy of mine has wooden boxes that he positions next to the balcony windows.
The windows provide some heat, the wood insulates a little and keeps moisture levels decent.

When I lived in an appartment, I didn't protect them at all but -15°C is the lowest we got.

Thank you!

Top Bottom