Wintering Spray

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What spray(s) is recommended before placing bonsai in their wintering location. In my case, it's a garage. It's around the corner when I shelter my bonsai in the garage (Thanksgiving). All of my deciduous trees have dropped their leaves so I think they're ready!

Thanks!

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This spray you're talking about is to just prevent any mites that might be over wintering in your soil correct?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Don't spay unless there's a need to spray for some specific critter you KNOW is there are dmaging trees.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I too have been wondering this. I need to spray my japanese maples for the mildew they got this year. Other than that maybe just an all around preventative spray might be good.

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I too have been wondering this. I need to spray my japanese maples for the mildew they got this year. Other than that maybe just an all around preventative spray might be good.
I had a bad case of mildew on my JM this year too!

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'll be using ZeroTol this year for the first time. All indicators say it is low-impact environmental, good broad-spectrum fungicide/bactericide/algaecide. Contact only though, so a thorough dousing needed. It's very much like spraying dilute bleach or hydrogen peroxide on everything. Anyone have any experience with it?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'll be using ZeroTol this year for the first time. All indicators say it is low-impact environmental, good broad-spectrum fungicide/bactericide/algaecide. Contact only though, so a thorough dousing needed. It's very much like spraying dilute bleach or hydrogen peroxide on everything. Anyone have any experience with it?
@garywood recommended it to me. But I just mix 2 tbls hydrogen peroxide (3%) with a quart of water as this is pretty much what Zerotol is at the label dilution. The caveat is that spraying only acts on fungi/bacteria/algae that are present at the time. It does not prevent any future infection which copper-based fungicides and Daconil do, to a certain extent. I only spray when I see trouble, so this caveat is unimportant to me. Hydrogen peroxide (aka hydrogen dioxide: H2O2) readily gives up a reactive oxygen ion that oxidizes proteins (i.e., burns them without a fire) and becomes nothing more than just water (H2O); hence the reason it is environmentally friendly.

BTW, the mix (real or pseudo Zerotol) can be also used as a root drench --> a possible remedy for root rot. IIRC, @garywood dips roots when repotting nursery plants.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bayer Advanced has a few things to consider depending on your type of plants and needs.

Granular Extended insect control covers insects on the surface and in the soil.
Granular All In One for Rose and Flower care is a Fertilizer, Insect Control and Disease Control.
Granular Tree and shrub for Fertilizer and Insects.

Normally before anything goes inside as far as tropical, sub tropical, cacti, succulents the get a heavy spray of Bonide Insecticidal Soap or any major brand. They then get a tablespoon of one or two of the above if appropriate.

Stuff that stay on or near the ground including trees gets All In One 3 way no matter if a Rose or Flower. If needed as in Fruit trees and maples they all received a decent spray coat of Copper Fungicide in Fall and another in Spring.

There are a lot of options and great products but I have found using granular when possible is really effective and a lot easier and safer to apply. Some things like Copper or a Streptomycin Bactericide require far more caution when using but most often should be sprayed.

Again there is more out there but stick with solid brand names. And PLEASE wear proper eye protection and whatever else the Company advises.

Grimmy

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dormant/horticultural oil. It smothers overwintering bugs and eggs. Apply it in the fall and again in late winter or early spring when they come out again.

Dave,
Is the oil harmful to soil? I sprayed once before with the oil on a juniper with scale and made sure to cover the soil . I know with copper or Bayer you want to cover soil surfaces when spraying. bugs have been a major problem this year for me, aphids, scale and root aphids I'm still struggling to get rid of(even with diluted malathion soaks) so I'd like to spray. The majority of my trees get mulched in so I assume cover the soil and spray with oil, then store away under mulch, but would a repeated spray when mulched cause a problem? I could always wait til they come out but want to be as proactive as possible.

Top Bottom