Winterizing??

Mad Furiosa

Seedling
Reaction score
My bonsai is an indoor one due to Alberta weather.. hail..+40C/-40C..heavy snow.. intense sun (think dry intense heat) Anyways what should I do for winter? Our basement doesn't really cool and our garage will still be -30C at least. My bonsai is just a seedling. It's my picture.

Suggestions?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My bonsai is an indoor one due to Alberta weather.. hail..+40C/-40C..heavy snow.. intense sun (think dry intense heat) Anyways what should I do for winter? Our basement doesn't really cool and our garage will still be -30C at least. My bonsai is just a seedling. It's my picture.

Suggestions?
Sounds like winter here. I don't know what minus 40 degrees Celsius is but we regularly get 20 below Fahrenheit and some times minus 30. Heavy snow. Winds.
Mine stay out in it.

Reaction score
About 3 years ago when I started bonsai it was in early spring. Got 1 tree, then 2, and then by August I had a good 12 trees. Super excited about the hobby I didn't think about winter. I live in South New Jersey. Growing season is about from early April to September. So when August hit I did a lot of searching the web for "how to" for overwintering Bonsai. Came across all types of things, but what I finally settled on doing what I learned from a local bonsai guy who owns a nursery around my area is the "tote and mulch method...

What you do is buy a big plastic storage tote from a local department store near you. Make sure is big enough obviously for you tree or trees to fit into. So what I did was buy the tote darker color the better, drill or poke some small holes at the bottom for drainage for the very few waterings you do, place a thick layer of mulch down(regular garden mulch will do) place potted bonsai on top of the mulch, then place the remaining mulch in to the tote covering the pot, I make sure to cover the pot and at lease 2-3inches of mulch above the bonsai soil. He idea is to protect the roots from freezing. So when all finished you only see the bonsai tree sticking up out of the mulch. The pot and roots are under the mulch. Looks like the bonsai is planted in the mulch. The mulch works as insulation. Just place the tote somewheres that protected from strong winds. If a bad snow storm come you can just place the lid of the tote on top to cover it from the elements. On really cold nights I would put the lid on and grab a big old blanket I have and cover it like. Some say Bonsai's don't need like when dormant. But I still like to give them some sun and the fresh air. Been doing this for 3 winters now and I haven't loss 1 bonsai yet.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
a bad snow storm come you can just place the lid of the tote on top to cover it from the elements. On really cold nights I would put the lid on and grab a big old blanket I have and cover it like.
I use the snow as insulation. By the middle of January all you see is lumps in the snow.

Reaction score
Snow makes sense. People use igloos in the North Pole for shelter. But Jersey winter are weird. It will be super cold and then in high 50s for a week on end. So snow doesn't last long around here when we get it because of our weird warm fronts. I but that for sure will work in other areas. I have actually used snow for watering one winter. I gather a few small shovels worth of snow and placed on top of the mulch. So was it melted in time it water the bosai slowly.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There used to be a few Albertans on the site, hopefully one can offer their advice. I assume you're worried about Chinooks?

Mad Furiosa

Seedling
Reaction score
No Chinooks are fine. Those are very mild warm winds. I'm worried about the range of temps. -40 F winter to 104F summer. And winter includes wind chills which is a wind that feels like freezing knives and dry heat summer so basically I'm keeping it indoors at least till it's bigger I think. I have grow lights and i mist them. I'm just not sure about winter stuff. Like in a bad winter we can have snow up to my waist.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is nothing wrong with snow.
Snow is good.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Chinook's are great dogs!
(Warm winter winds, I know......and a helicopter too!)
I'm gonna take a risk this year and leave at least one tree out on the benches over winter, just to see.....
Usually I put some in the ground, buried in mulch on the northernmost side of my house, which is under the back deck....
And some go into the garage.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In this part of Wisconsin we can have winter temps ranging down to -20 Fahrenheit, interspersed with warm spells that might go up to +30 or more [zone 5b]. I have a handful of tropicals [Natal plum, bucida, a couple of different ficus] which are no problem. I already have fluorescent grow lights from the Great Heirloom-tomato-from-seed Project from the winter before last, and a nice bench with a couple of fans for air movement.
My problem is the azaleas, and I am stumped. I live in a historic neighborhood, in a house built in 1904--no garage, no breezeway or the like. Tiny back yard, so no place to build a shed or even add one of those plastic ones from Home Depot or wherever. I can't believe that a cold frame or plastic hoop house will be sufficient when the temps go below -15 or -20 degrees. I thought of getting an older, used refrigerator--the kind that do not have a dehumidifier--and then I read Mr. Harrington's admonition on bonsai4me. He is emphatic that azaleas are not deciduous, and that they need access to light. Being in the UK, he identifies rain as the biggest winter danger for azaleas. I try reading through the care guides the different purveyors have on their websites, and pretty soon I feel like a dog chasing its own tail. One says keep them outdoors, one says a cool windowsill is just fine, another says they can be summer outside/winter inside....
Unless someone with experience can tell me definitively why not to, I'm thinking that the azaleas will stay out until there is a danger of hard frost, and then come inside under the lights. I'll adjust feeding and watering accordingly, and ease them back outside in the spring.
This just adds one more to the list of reasons why I drink.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My problem is the azaleas, and I am stumped.
I am in IL, so a little warmer than you, but am already worried what I will do with my 2 little Satsukis, come winter. I do have a detached garage, but there is no light. I tried an unknown variety inside under the lights last year, that didn't work out. It did fine most of the winter, then just declined. Maybe @Leo in N E Illinois will jump in and save us. I didn't know you had to have reasons to drink, but if so, I'll add this to my list;)

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Motivation, maybe, rather than reason. I don't know why people have a thing about drinking alone--it's actually my favorite setting. I know everyone in the room is someone I can get along with.

BTW, Amazon is selling 5 year old, 8" Satsuki's from Brussel's for $17. I bought two a month ago when they were $11.97--they shipped perfectly, arrived in impeccable condition. Their regular price is $29.95. Nice looking pots, too.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They spent more on the styrofoam peanuts than the profit on the sale.
The trees were in some kind of crappy soil mix that I assume was just intended to keep them from drying out in shipment. At the first opportunity I changed the soil--not a re-pot, per se--didn't touch the roots, etc.--just snipped the wire, lifted them out, dumped the dirt and replaced with pure kanuma. They're loving life and living large for now--lots of bright green new growth.
I wish the sellers would include some sort of advisory about when a tree was last potted, what soil mix, and so on. Printing a 3X5 card and tucking it in the box wouldn't cost much, but it would prevent the lingering death of a whole bunch of doomed trees. I know they're not exactly puppies, but still....

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@shinmai you can keep your azaleas in the same place I keep mine!

At home depot!

And at Mellow mullets house!

Sorce

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
He is an example from YouTube guru, Nigel Saunders in Canada. I think this is legal to post here and I have no affiliation with Nigel. I think this is a great informative video, that is all :) Mods please remove if in violation:

Salcomine

Yamadori
Reaction score
I live in northern bc, same weather. I just dig mine into the ground and let the snow cover it. You can mulch around with leaves or grass trimmings or some such thing. We had no snow and -36c and wind chill on top. I lost some stuff not dug down.

Attachments

• DSC_0223_2.JPG
    DSC_0223_2.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 44

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai in winter in Va. Both of these photos contain very large bonsai, elm, bald cypress, maple, and other hardy temperate zone species. The first photo has a stack of cinder block--four blocks tall. So you get the idea. Snow is the best winter insulation there is, especially if air temperatures get into single digits or even below...snow.jpg snow2.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai in winter in Va. Both of these photos contain very large bonsai, elm, bald cypress, maple, and other hardy temperate zone species. The first photo has a stack of cinder block--four blocks tall. So you get the idea. Snow is the best winter insulation there is, especially if air temperatures get into single digits or even below...View attachment 155613 View attachment 155615
Especially below zero.

Top Bottom