Winters just around the corner.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I went skiing once in Jackson Hole Wyoming and it was -20. It was pretty cold but didn't feel as bad to me as a -6 day in West Virginia. That day was brutal - I've never been colder in my life. Not sure if it had to do with humidity or what?

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
When I say 32 you think zero. That isn't as cold as it gets where I live. Now think what yours is when I say minus 20 to 30. That's what I call cold.

-30c .. I`ve got nothing to gauge that too. Every winter we pray for a bit of snow.. and if we get it the country comes to a stand still :p

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My house looks like fall...with decor...my home smells of Coconut Pumpkin Pie thanks to my Scentsy burner...yet...today even in the brisk day...for a brief moment...it felt like spring.

How so?

I think of spring when I think of baby wild life...or reptile. My husband spotted him on the road. A creek that spills from our spill way at the lake...he was crossing the road our lake is off of. Brought him home...he was so docile. But not for long...released him next to the lake. (More toward the back of the lake...hopefully he won't venture to the road again. How my husband seen him is crazy! )

Cutest snapper I've ever seen.

image.jpg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is my grand view today, looking west into the intercostal Mts. So smokey I could hardly breathe on the way up here. Had to stop three times for cig break! I am almost to the top of the smoke, there's tinges of blue just above me. I can hear the choppers and planes and equipment to the west, can't be but twenty miles.

It's funny here, we have days where the sun looks like a full moon due to smoke, other days not bad. All down to winds and air currents I guess.

Here's some shots of yesterday's new fire, the smoke plume behind our building. This shows how crazy dry it is and how uncontrollable fires can be in these conditions. This one was started at 1 in the afternoon by a guy doing some work on his well with a grinder.

So reported immediately, right beside the airport where all the available aircraft are not just ready but already mobilized and flying full time. Like a well oiled machine by now, land, load, fuel, fly. Amazing how quickly they are cycling through the craft there. Anyways there is no way you could have a faster response. With it threatening community and the fire base itself they threw everything they had at it hard and fast. Still it grew from a spark to 250 hectares by late afternoon and it wasn't even very windy. Not sure what's up today, I think they've got a handle on it somewhat now.
The current local fires are bad but worst case scenario of what could happen right now in these conditions, unimaginable, if shit really hits the fan it could hit real hard and fast! Fingers crossed that our luck keeps holding. The fire crews are doing an amazing job.
Full closures on all public lands, parks, waterways and even city trail systems now.
No camping, no hunting, no paddling, stay home.

Come on winter! It wil be a relief. image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Hot, dry, red flag warnings. Fires all around us. We are safe but the smoke is thick and almost constant. Wearing respirator mask when I go out to water trees. 99 today and tomorrow. The entire west coast needs winter. If winter is just around the corner, it's sure sneaking up quietly.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
he was crossing the road our lake is off of. Brought him home..
Better to take them to the other side of the road and leave them, instead of transporting away from where they came from. Not that the sentiment isn't good, but with wildlife, moving babies is usually not recommended.
It is nice to have fall though right?

Hoping for rain where there are fires for sure.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Better to take them to the other side of the road and leave them, instead of transporting away from where they came from. Not that the sentiment isn't good, but with wildlife, moving babies is usually not recommended.
It is nice to have fall though right?

Hoping for rain where there are fires for sure.
Other side of road... It was heading toward the lake. I usually just place on side of road in direction they were headed. I would have...but the neighbor was mowing. Didn't wish to place near spillway...and one was weed waking around good fishing areas. So figured safest place. It's busy at the lake...ones making it easier for the holiday to fish.

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
104 today. Tomorrow 81 and rain! Weird weather for us. September is usually hot and dry. Everything dries out then it burns in October. Winter if we get lucky will start in January.

Maybe someday we will move somewhere that has real winters.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It was 60F at 6:30AM here and looks like we are heading into a nice warm week of mid 70's to mid 80's. Spotty rains, nothing dramatic.

Grimmy

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I mowed the lawn today and only got mildly stinky... fall is here!

LOL I know exactly what you mean! I now only have to mow 2 times a week LOLOL in winter i'm down to once a month.

I hate mowing the lawn. hate it.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
IMG_0977.JPG Here is the view this afternoon here. What's funny is all the tourists still out floating the river in force thru this. They set aside the time and paid their dime. And they are gonna float the river no matter what!

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
104 today. Tomorrow 81 and rain! Weird weather for us. September is usually hot and dry. Everything dries out then it burns in October. Winter if we get lucky will start in January.

Maybe someday we will move somewhere that has real winters.

That's what I did last year. Best decision I've ever made.

Top Bottom