Wire before repotting

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In the next one or two weeks, my Acer ginalla and Carpinus betulus will be repotted.
From the info i have collected i would assume that is better to wire them before repotting so that the roots in the new pots would not be disturbed as much.
Is this correct? Any advice or opinions regarding this?

Thanks!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is what I tend to do. I wire and lay out the tree and repot later.

Challenge is then of course: During repotting you might disturbed the neatly laid out canopy again.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Correct; wire first, repot after. If you are changing the planting angle, mark the soil with a couple pieces of wire or toothpicks so you get the new planting angle right when you repot. Also a good idea to take some photos of the right planting angle so you can refer back to them during repotting to ensure you got it right.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Major bending, twisting and rearranging is one insult, and repotting is another. I have bad luck when I do too many things at the same time.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Correct; wire first, repot after. If you are changing the planting angle, mark the soil with a couple pieces of wire or toothpicks so you get the new planting angle right when you repot. Also a good idea to take some photos of the right planting angle so you can refer back to them during repotting to ensure you got it right.
What Brian said... and healthy deciduous trees will do nicely being pruned, wired and re-potted in the same season.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Major bending, twisting and rearranging is one insult, and repotting is another. I have bad luck when I do too many things at the same time.
It is a maple and a hornbeam we are discussing here. Not pines. Doing all in one go should be no problem.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll wire first so after the repot I'm not disturbing the roots. As far as the planting angle, in addition to what BVF said I saw someone who wrote on the training pot (@JudyB ?) with a sharpie things like" 2" up" or "1" back" after deciding on a planting angle using wedges.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I see you :D

There will be no major bending. Mostly wiring of finer branches.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There will be no major bending. Mostly wiring of finer branches.

If you don't wire the entire tree you stand a much greater risk of ....

During repotting you might disturbed the neatly laid out canopy again

You see, these folks are recommending repotting after appropriate wiring, as their own.

The correct answer is.....

Only if you know what you are doing.

Pics!

We still don't know what you are doing!

Sorce

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here they are (not sure if i need to state this - they are inside just for the photo):

20200209_185753.jpg20200209_185909.jpg

Top Bottom