Wire choice when wiring trees into pots

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
As its mostly underground and mostly not visible, any wire or cord will do the job as long as it holds the root system securely until the roots are well established in the pot.
When I had run out of wire previously I found that 20-30lb fishing nylon line or braid does the same job quite adequately if you use the right knots! Its also much cheaper!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not to worry.

Aluminum works fine, it does have a bit of give to it. Once you get the hang of it, all is good. I’ve used as small as 1.5 mm I’m really small pots, but see @Brian Van Fleet post.

We use steel at PBM yet most of our trees are very large. Again once you get the feel for it, it works well.

The main issue I and many others have run into is wiring patterns for different situations. Best to study before you start a repot until you have the variations done. Once one gets under the hood at lot of things can happen. Be ready.

Cheers
DSD sends

Ivan lopez

Seedling
Reaction score
As its mostly underground and mostly not visible, any wire or cord will do the job as long as it holds the root system securely until the roots are well established in the pot.
When I had run out of wire previously I found that 20-30lb fishing nylon line or braid does the same job quite adequately if you use the right knots! Its also much cheaper!
Interesting

Ivan lopez

Seedling
Reaction score
Not to worry.

Aluminum works fine, it does have a bit of give to it. Once you get the hang of it, all is good. I’ve used as small as 1.5 mm I’m really small pots, but see @Brian Van Fleet post.

We use steel at PBM yet most of our trees are very large. Again once you get the feel for it, it works well.

The main issue I and many others have run into is wiring patterns for different situations. Best to study before you start a repot until you have the variations done. Once one gets under the hood at lot of things can happen. Be ready.

Cheers
DSD sends
I don’t have anything too big to have to use anything heavy duty. Thanks for your input!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
So would you think to use aluminum in general for all trees (deciduous, conifer and pines) when wiring them into a pot?

I avoided learning to use copper wire for my first years. It was a mistake. Copper wire is far superior to aluminum in holding power. I pretty much use copper for most trees.

Aluminum is only appropriate for fast growing deciduous trees, where branches harden off and hold shape in a matter of weeks or a month or two. Problem with aluminum is that it doesn't hold shape well. Just brushing against the tree can rearrange the branches. Squirrels, cats and raccoons have completely redesigned trees wired with aluminum. Beyond myself being less than dexterous. So aluminum is used only where wire is only going to be in place a few weeks and the tree won't get jostled.

So learn copper, it holds shape so much better.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Coming up $9.95 now.

17 guage Is 1.4 mm so it ought to work well for tying down small trees in a pot. After that it’s guage up Imho. Do you use it for larger stock?

I actually use 1 mm for small root washed azaleas and whips in their first potting in #4 and below Tokaname pots… but that’s way specialized use.

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom