Wire cutters 8” vs. 7”

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do 8 inch wire cutters give a significantly better mechanical advantage vs. 7 inch cutters? I find that cutting off 4, 6, or 8 gauge copper wire from a branch is really hard on my hands with my stainless steel Tian Bonsai 7 inch wire cutters. I’m wondering if it’s worth the money to upgrade to a pair of 8 inch wire cutters. Alternately, does anybody make a larger size than 8 inch for wire cutters (the stub nose kind that can get right up against the branch to cut the wire without harming the branch)?

Farwest

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Do 8 inch wire cutters give a significantly better mechanical advantage vs. 7 inch cutters? I find that cutting off 4, 6, or 8 gauge copper wire from a branch is really hard on my hands with my stainless steel Tian Bonsai 7 inch wire cutters. I’m wondering if it’s worth the money to upgrade to a pair of 8 inch wire cutters. Alternately, does anybody make a larger size than 8 inch for wire cutters (the stub nose kind that can get right up against the branch to cut the wire without harming the branch)?
I have both Tian sizes, but neither work well for copper over 10 gauge. I also have some Masakuni 8007, but to be honest these knipex wire/bolt cutters are much easier on your wrist for the big stuff. https://www.amazon.com/KNIPEX-CoBol...qid=1647827687&sprefix=knipex,aps,369&sr=8-10

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The Knipex guys are good, but it you want to cut wire with a quality cutter and not pay out so much I recommend these guys. I use them at the museum and at home, cutting 8/10/12 and some 6 gauge copper all the time.

Klein Tools D2000-28 Pliers, Diagonal Cutting Pliers with Angled Head are Heavy-Duty to Cut ACSR, Screws, Nails, Most Hardened Wire, 8-Inch. 31.00 on Amazon.

cheers
DSD sends

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Been using my Kiku 8” wire cutters since 1994. Pretty sure they could cut railroad spikes.

Top Bottom