Wire: how much bite?

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I wired and defoliated my mume in June. It’s getting some significant bite and I’m curious if I can allow it and see a recovery.F9853DA6-9834-40AD-9E86-AA5C7377EBD7.jpeg

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
It’s off! Don’t know why I thought I had read you can push it a little bit. The branch surprisingly held shape but I put in a guy with fishing line to hold it longer

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I did the same with my Prunus Mume last season.
I regret it.
It was an important new branch in a strategic position and it is ruined.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I highly appreciate the efforts, but I think you could have gotten away safer using the knicker elastic and chewing Gum @Woocash was talking about and achieved the same effect without the bite.

Then I question the effect? It seems to have introduced movement quite like the dreaded "guy wire only" rainbow arching thing.

But then I go right back into commending the effort.

I just don't understand it.
But I also am very anti wiring anything but what will be kept, and I like clip and grow Better. So there's that.

I would consider what they call "cage wiring". Looser. Also aluminum, since its larger and will bite less. Or coated wire, or any other means to make movement without direct copper.

Sorce

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Funny, yesterday I realized the wire cut into my ume too. Taking it off was the right choice, they can add girth quickly almost in spurts. Once its bitten in that far its more than set.

I have also found with ume that you can actually snap a young branch gently, put cut paste or similar around the break point, and it will heal given that it isn't allowed to move and break after it starts healing. This creates more abrupt movement that I think is well suited for the species.

Attachments

• 20200810_112120.jpg
    20200810_112120.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200810_112313.jpg
    20200810_112313.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200810_121812.jpg
    20200810_121812.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 22

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Fwiw, for a rugged and gnarly barked tree like an Ume, subtle irregularities in the texture of the branches are ok and might even enhance the image as the branching matures. Most of the branches on my ume have had some wire bite in during development... https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/another-ume.32214/... you can see the mild scarring on more then a few of the pictures. It's barely noticeable after one year, even though the bark is still juvenile

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As summer ends and fall gets closer, watch for seemingly overnight swelling of branches. You'll end up removing a lot of wire, put on the tree in summer or even earlier, in a hurry.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I highly appreciate the efforts, but I think you could have gotten away safer using the knicker elastic and chewing Gum @Woocash was talking about and achieved the same effect without the bite.

Then I question the effect? It seems to have introduced movement quite like the dreaded "guy wire only" rainbow arching thing.

But then I go right back into commending the effort.

I just don't understand it.
But I also am very anti wiring anything but what will be kept, and I like clip and grow Better. So there's that.

I would consider what they call "cage wiring". Looser. Also aluminum, since its larger and will bite less. Or coated wire, or any other means to make movement without direct copper.

Sorce
There is a pendulous Ume I am taking inspiration from. Hence the rainbows, although would like to introduce more movement I am contemplating cutting those branches back next year so they are not so long and rainbow-esque

Top Bottom