Wire storage solutions...thoughts please

Reaction score
When you get your wire, don't pull the size labels off. That way you don't have to figure them out all over again.

First thing I do with new wire is ripping the size labels off lol.
If you put a tie-wrap with one of these badboys attached to it around it and write the gauge on it you won't be screwing around with those annoying labels.

al-1850.jpg

I bought seven 100 gram rolls of pink 2 mm wire the other day (they were .50€ each, don't judge me). Dunked six in a box to store, the other one (the one I use) is in the same box all the other bonsai stuff lile wire and tools is in. Wire I don't use (or barely use) is stored out of sight. No idea how bad your OCD is, but mine can handle it ;) .
Not very OCD-ey, fosho. Curious to seen what the fancy boys will come up with.

Last edited:

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Darlene, I have to chuckle a bit...

Here you've never used copper wire, barely even any aluminum, and you've been stressing for a couple days over wire caddies.

I've been doing bonsai over 40 years. Never owned a wire caddy. Just keep it in a cardboard box until I'm ready to wire. Then, lay it out on a table and wire. When done, return it to the cardboard box.

It funny, everyone when they're new thinks they need all the tools. You really only need a few. Yes, over the years, I've collected a pretty complete selection of tools. But I find I only use a few for more than 90 percent of what I do with bonsai.

I suggest you start with the cardboard box. If after using it a few months, then maybe buy or build something else.

At Boon's we lay our wire out on large plastic "bread trays". ( I don't know the real name for them). They're what they have the loaves of bread on when trucked to the grocery store, and they can carry them into the aisles to stock the shelves. Maybe about 4 foot square. They're light weight, and can be moved around, store on edge, etc. we use milk crates to put them on as temporary tables.
I am kind of at the point that I realized I have spent more of my resources (time, money, etc.) fussing about everything BUT the trees themselves. I have no sweet trees or pots to show for it but I do have all these nice unnecessary tools and setups.

I am not buying anything except trees and pots for a long time.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am kind of at the point that I realized I have spent more of my resources (time, money, etc.) fussing about everything BUT the trees themselves. I have no sweet trees or pots to show for it but I do have all these nice unnecessary tools and setups.

Good for you on your next phase of your journey! Those can be fun purchases...very rewarding. Enjoy adding to the character on your bench.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a square traning pot, a little smaller than the diameter of the coils and stack the rolls or wire in them when at home. I put the whole thing in a crate for transport to my club. And when I am working on a tree.. Well.. The wire goes everywhere :)

Nope. No disorder in my mind. Just on my workspace after I am done!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score

I think a lot of people should read this and look real hard in the mirror. I wish I had come about to this line of reasoning ten years ago.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was actually looking online at storage organizers. But...nothing so far seemed appropriate. I have until spring...if I find nothing. Something will be built. I will check on cloth/nylon types. The plastic ones...so far...do nothing for me. I need an appropriate amount of space per roll. I don't mind my aluminum and copper to be in separate caddies...but, it needs to not be overly large...and have enough adequate space.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-17...16&gclid=CKGR__HC48oCFceCgQody7QNJA&gclsrc=ds

Think about something like this- for both tools and wire. Great because it is easy to organize, carry and it holds a LOT. If you have a bunch of tools, get two- one for wire,money for tools. Or, if you have less of each, just get one and put the wire in the middle with tools around the outside.

No need to over think it... Don't let the OCD win Darlene! ;)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-17...16&gclid=CKGR__HC48oCFceCgQody7QNJA&gclsrc=ds

Think about something like this- for both tools and wire. Great because it is easy to organize, carry and it holds a LOT. If you have a bunch of tools, get two- one for wire,money for tools. Or, if you have less of each, just get one and put the wire in the middle with tools around the outside.

No need to over think it... Don't let the OCD win Darlene! ;)
Curious what size those pockets are. If coils of wire would slip into them. Interesting concept. I have a leather pouch that my tools roll up in. But...that is an interesting concept. One trip and have everything at ones fingertips.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Heres a pic of what I use. The second one is used wire removed and ready to use again, and some soil covering towels/gloves etc... These stack and can carry together. It's easy and cheap, the spools keep the wire organized and they accept a fair amount of wire. I just sharpie the size on the spool.
P1010484.jpg P1010485.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Heres a pic of what I use. The second one is used wire removed and ready to use again, and some soil covering towels/gloves etc... These stack and can carry together. It's easy and cheap, the spools keep the wire organized and they accept a fair amount of wire. I just sharpie the size on the spool.
View attachment 93820 View attachment 93821

Honestly...that appeals to me @JudyB ! Do the trays then stack on each other? Did you get them at a craft store or hardware place?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Did you get them at a craft store or hardware place?

I have two very similar to those that Judy has for tools and plant supplies, Dollar General :p They were no more then 2 - 3 dollars and they do stack. Like I was saying in an earlier post - the open caddy type works good... ;)

Grimmy

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Judy's system looks like it would be ok for tools and aluminum, but not copper.

The Home Depot tote could hold the tools around the outside, and wire spools could be stored/carried in the inside, stood on edge.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The Home Depot tote could hold the tools around the outside, and wire spools could be stored/carried in the inside, stood on edge.

I agree 100 percent, I use the totes for day to day gardening. I store copper wire the way you do only not in cardboard but in a small plastic storage bin because I like the cover. I am posting this because I forgot to mention that in the plastic container don't leave it in direct Sun unless you pop the lid as sealed it creates moisture. I was thinking about drilling a few small vent holes but have not gotten around to it.

Grimmy

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Curious what size those pockets are. If coils of wire would slip into them. Interesting concept. I have a leather pouch that my tools roll up in. But...that is an interesting concept. One trip and have everything at ones fingertips.
No, the wire goes in the middle... You want your wires rolled wide enough to sit down in the middle section without moving around too much. Set them side by side and you can just pull the wire out and let them unroll without taking them out of the box.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I leave my rolls of copper in the box it was shipped in. As I have mostly D trees, I don't really need anything more than that for the copper.
Reading this I realized that I've never used aluminum wire.
Need to try some I guess.
I keep everything in a large tool box. Tools in the top tray and rolls of wire lay in the bottom.

Top Bottom