Wire Trees into pond basket?

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Maybe this is a silly question. Do you wire your trees into the pond baskets? I assume you would as you don’t want it to wiggle around as that would damage the fine roots. I would also guess you use similar methods as wiring them into pots.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maybe this is a silly question. Do you wire your trees into the pond baskets? I assume you would as you don’t want it to wiggle around as that would damage the fine roots. I would also guess you use similar methods as wiring them into pots.

Yes, I wire my trees into every container I put them into for the reasons you state.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The squirrels here absolutely know if a tree is wired in or not, so everything is wired in.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'm same as @Paradox , wire em all into every container.

Containers flexing, this is the reason I don't use cheap flimsy containers, most mesh baskets flex too much. Many plastic pots and trays flex too much and I hate "grow bags" because they flex and break roots.

If you use flexible containers, only move them around when frozen solid in winter or set them on Ridgid sheets of plywood or resin board and pick them up using the board. Flexing breaks fine roots.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If it is something small (seedlings, etc), I don't.

Anything larger gets wired. I could spend hours telling you about every way that an unwired tree can pop out of a pond basket - from personal experience. Even if there is a horrendous storm that blows your trees half way across the yard, if they are wired into their pond baskets they will probably be ok when you come pick them up.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't but those plants in pond baskets are heeled in wood chips and mulch and the don't get moved around but every few years.

morriganflora

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
In the nursery I work at they go into the pond baskets with wire wrapped around almost all the way down to the bottom of their root systems, so kind of. They're not anchored to the pot but they sure are anchored into that soil. I've never seen one fall out before it was rooted all the way in unless I accidentally kicked over the pot (which totally never happens...).

Top Bottom