Wire with Cover Still on It

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I hate to show how little knowledge I have but I have quite a bit of electrical wire scraps that I was thinking of trying to use to wire. Can it be used for this, does the sheathing have to be removed? I know this may be a dumb question but I really don't know. Thanks for the help.

Jamie

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes cuz you gotta anneal it first!

Lessin you are an "environmentalist" like M. Frary!

Then you can just burn it off!

Sorce

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If you don't anneal it the wire is just harder to work with, is that correct? If that is the case, if I just want to do things the hard way, which is how I seem to do everything, then I could use the wire as it? Just askin

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you don't anneal it the wire is just harder to work with, is that correct? If that is the case, if I just want to do things the hard way, which is how I seem to do everything, then I could use the wire as it? Just askin
You "could" use whatever you want... It just won't work very good for anything but clunky, useless "bow" bends... That and broken branches! "Hard way" indeed!

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
12 and 14 wire (I'm assuming thats what your using) is supper hard to work with.... even after anneal. Its great for pulling branches but wrapping stinks! You dont have to take the sheathing off... but taking the coating off is as easy as tapping on it with a hammer on a concrete floor and pulling off it off. No burning!!! Bad @sorce !!!! Bad!!!! :D
If your looking to wrap... buy some bonsai wire.... its super cheep!

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That's why I asked, want to learn from others experiences. That is the best and easiest way to learn. Thanks for the help.

Jamie

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I use a wire stripping machine like a Hardin WS-1270 Manual Cable and Wire Stripper.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like Sorce said. Start yourself a nice little fire and toss it on.
By the time the insulation is burned all of the way off its hot enough to quench. Just toss it in a bucket of water. When you pull it out it will be nice and soft and pliable. It will have been annealed.

Top Bottom