Wire - ?

Randy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
There are couple things that I have been wondering about wire that I haven't found discussed or documented otherwise.

I'm not trying to get someones secret supplier of wire but I do wonder where is it that people have found good sources of wire? If it happens that everyone uses conventional supplier sources so be it but I don't see this mentioned much.

The other thought I had is about what people do with their wire post-use. Is it common practice to sell scrap copper (recycle)? Does aluminum just get tossed like I suspect?

Thanks
Randy P.

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Bill Valavanis told us that he made quite a few greenbacks by selling all his copper wire off cuts.....can't remember how much [must be age related......]

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I buy my aluminum in kilo rolls from Dallas Bonsai. I don't know if they have the best prices, but they have always treated me well. Good packaging, fast shipping, good communication, etc. Back when I used copper I got it from a local electrical supply house and annealed it myself in my oven. I just stopped doing it due to expense and hassle - there are only rare times that I felt I really NEEDED copper and I can usually work around it (though in my opinion it IS definitely better than aluminum).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here on the east coast Julian Adams is probably THE best source for copper wire.

http://www.adamsbonsai.com/

He has been selling it for years to a huge variety of people (includng the National Arboretum) for reasonable prices. I've bought a lot of wire from him over the years at the Potomac Bonsai Association show every spring. He also ships...

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
all of those are good choices and I used to buy copper from Tom (Tachigi) but it does not appear he is doing business any longer... Gremel's wire is great too ...

we almost exclusively use alum anymore and only copper for the finest stuff.... We buy in Kilo rolls in multi club purchases from Japan... other wise I get it from Bonsai Northwest

you should recycle both... many people recover a significant amount of the cost of copper by recycling it... and alum as well.. keep an empty coffee can around and dump the bits in there...

Randy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Great responses. The little details are nice to know. I guess my brain didn't register that aluminum wire and cans would get the same bin.

Top Bottom