Wiring a Stewartia

robert gardner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am getting three Stewartia trees next week. They will be wired together so that the roots will fuse together. making a triple trunk tree. My big question since the bark wounds so easily, how long do you leave the wire on
all the branches that need to be flatten out from their vertical growth. This is a new tree for me to work with. All help will be appreciated. I am also getting one in a gallon pot that will become an informal upright in time.
all comments will be helpful for this project, the three seedlings will be about 14 inches tall.
THANKS in advance,
robert gardner

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Take the wire off as soon as you see it making a mark

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It’s likely they’ll fuse without being bound with wire, assuming you’re doing a triple trunk, where they all split out just at/above the soil line. The look could be more natural and you won’t risk ruining the trunks. They grow fast, and wire bites in a few months.

Sounds like a fun project.

robert gardner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want to thank both of you for your help. As for wiring the trunks I am following a report from Bonsai Today and they just wired around the roots it seems very louse in order not
to mar them, just to hold them together at the planting time. When done I would like to wire the trunks up a short distance to try and get some tree separation for them. I have
done fusing with Paperbark Maples (five trees) and they came out great, making a nice single trunk tree about three feet tall. This will be my first try a fusing the root system on
three trees. So with that said heres to good luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

robert gardner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
they were all three placed together in a nice deep pot. The root just above the soil line were wired loosely together, they are all growing fine.
Question ?? about how long before I can look to see if this is starting to work.
Any help will be apricated, thanks.
Robert

thee.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is going to be more problematic than everyone thinks. The bark is what sells Stewartia, and it's easy to mark and impossible to miss the tell-tale man-made wire pathway. There has to be something in-between the bark and wire to insure no wire marks. That, or wire in autumn thru beginning bud swell in spring.

Top Bottom