wiring advice jbp

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i got a few of these jbp seedling cuttings from mark last year and they have grown quite a bit already-probably due to the warm fall and relatively mild winter we've had.they even have some nice budding low on the trunks.

i want to wire the trunks while they are still nice and flexible.

the thing i hate with pines are working around the needles so i would like to remove some.
how many can i safely remove from the trunk?

thanks in advance

P1070303.JPG

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dave,
I have that same question. It would be nice to remove all the needles from the lower 3/4 of the tree, leaving the buds. Then it would be easy to wire.
CW

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
You can remove a few of those needles, but I probably wouldn't as that's where buds form. I've wired seedlings like this and it's not that hard to weave a wire in between the needles. Whatever you do, don't pull/hit/damage those low growing buds...pure gold there.

Last edited:

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
ok sounds like i'll just remove the lower ones around the buds-thats why i wanted to remove the needles,i figured the less obstacles to maneuver around the less chance of hitting those buds

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
ok sounds like i'll just remove the lower ones around the buds-thats why i wanted to remove the needles,i figured the less obstacles to maneuver around the less chance of hitting those buds

The small tufts on the trunk are little needle buds I think so I wouldnt remove those just yet. The really long single ones I would cut short to make it easier to wire.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Those low "needles" are not really needles. There is a name for them but I can't remember what it is. They are the first needles that you get from a seedling. Once the seedling has started to develop true needles and the others will turn brown. Probably by the end of the first year.

You can probably remove them. I would cut them and not pluck them or you risk damaging any dormant buds that might be there. But I would probably just leave them be. Part of the "charm" of wiring pines is learning to work around the needles. It is a PITA but that's working with pines.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dude, those needles on the lower part of that trunk are separated far enough apart that you shouldn't have to remove any of them! Maybe, as you are working, there's one right where you want to lay the wire, remove it, but otherwise, I wouldn't remove a thing!

Those little buds down low are, as Dav4 said, pure gold! Don't damage those in any way!

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Those low "needles" are not really needles. There is a name for them but I can't remember what it is. They are the first needles that you get from a seedling. Once the seedling has started to develop true needles and the others will turn brown. Probably by the end of the first year.

You can probably remove them. I would cut them and not pluck them or you risk damaging any dormant buds that might be there. But I would probably just leave them be. Part of the "charm" of wiring pines is learning to work around the needles. It is a PITA but that's working with pines.
If you're getting ass pains while working on pines, you're doing it wrong!
Happy Monday

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've wired about 80 of these this spring and haven't had to remove any needles (except for the dead brown needles)

Top Bottom