Wiring Advice

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
I would really appreciate some advice on how best to shape the following seedlings/saplings. Thanks in advance!

x2 Sugar maples:
IMG_1799.JPG

Full moon maple:
IMG_1804 3.JPG

Japanese maple:
IMG_1805.JPG

Japanese maple (I apologize for the gruesome wire marks):
IMG_1858.JPG

Unidentified: I don't know what this is, but it grows fast; it sprouted this past spring!
IMG_1859.JPG

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It looks to me that you've already done this with one of them - I see the spiraling wire scars. So, you took a length of wire, stuck one end in the substrate/soil wound it around the stem and then bent it here and here and there ....

What is the question?
These are young saplings. If you should break them, they will bud from a node below the break. You will then have some idea of how far you can bend one of them and what its like just before they snap.
You could also wind the wire counter-clockwise. When you bend you twist the stem in the direction that the wire tightens, so you make curves that go the opposite way from when you wire it clockwise.
Just make shapes you like. Maybe keep in mind that you will wind up hard pruning these sometime in the future.

Proceed.

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
It looks to me that you've already done this with one of them - I see the spiraling wire scars. So, you took a length of wire, stuck one end in the substrate/soil wound it around the stem and then bent it here and here and there ....

What is the question?
These are young saplings. If you should break them, they will bud from a node below the break. You will then have some idea of how far you can bend one of them and what its like just before they snap.
You could also wind the wire counter-clockwise. When you bend you twist the stem in the direction that the wire tightens, so you make curves that go the opposite way from when you wire it clockwise.
Just make shapes you like. Maybe keep in mind that you will wind up hard pruning these sometime in the future.

Proceed.

Thanks for the advice! What size wire would you recommend for trees of this size?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the advice! What size wire would you recommend for trees of this size?
Something like half the diameter of the stem you are wiring, maybe as much as equal. If you are going to buy some.Al wire, maybe buy at least 2 sizes; one heavy enough for the lower trunks and a lighter one for the upper parts. Al wire from you hardware store will do. The stuff from 'bonsai places' is just anodized/coated so it does't show so prominently on your tree. Right now, I don't think that is important for you - your choice, where you get it.

When the wire is too heavy it is very hard to wrap it around the stem. When it is too thin, it won't hold.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The Mikawa Yatsubusa is a slow grower that you do not want to "find" the breaking point on.
It will be grown out and cut back, but keep some wire going on it for now. 1, 1.5 and 2mm aluminum
for that tree unless you try bending the trunk which could snap. It would need bigger wire than 2mm.

I like the pot in the last picture (#5) on the right. Not sure what's in it, Juniper I guess,
but the anchor wire may be safe to remove by now with the moss about the soil, or made more inconspicuous.
This really helped me grasp wiring. He has a few lessons on free wiring topics. Look into them. It will surely help you.

https://shop.mybluprint.com/gardeni...rmWx5FYeC-ImEnUoIVCy0FUEO7wp7vJUPpI0G6s5ibBs8
Yup that's an excellent free add to cart wiring class. You just have to create an account, email/password.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As far as advice on wiring, that link is great for application, but,
if you have a graft...do not apply any pressure near the union
with either hand (i.e. whilst supporting with opposite hand you're wiring with).
Edit:
Your Acer shirasawanum if it's like my Autumn Moon, is very slow at adding girth.
The high graft on my 1st one broke in a wind or something, but mended.
10 years in ground, you'd be amazed at how little girth has been added.
I also have 2 new ones I got from Brent last year that are cuttings.

Last edited:

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
Could someone please show me an example of a maple seedling/young tree that is nicely-shaped by wire? Anywhere from one to multiple growing seasons old should suffice. I haven't been able to find examples of this sort of thing, but I want to see some before I attempt it.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Could someone please show me an example of a maple seedling/young tree that is nicely-shaped by wire? Anywhere from one to multiple growing seasons old should suffice. I haven't been able to find examples of this sort of thing, but I want to see some before I attempt it.
Here's a pic. You don't wire actual seedlings. More like the ones you have, even earlier.
https://blackhillsbonsai.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/image3.jpg?w=627

This video I found (didn't spend much time looking for a good example, sorry) starts beyond the beginning.
Could use some help from Colin Lewis tutorial using one wire for 2 branches.
The finished product left me confused as to where the front of the tree is supposed to be
and I personally would shorten this tree, but it's not mine, so it is what it is...aren't they all...

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
Here's a pic. You don't wire actual seedlings. More like the ones you have, even earlier.
https://blackhillsbonsai.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/image3.jpg?w=627

This video I found (didn't spend much time looking for a good example, sorry) starts beyond the beginning.
Could use some help from Colin Lewis tutorial using one wire for 2 branches.
The finished product left me confused as to where the front of the tree is supposed to be
and I personally would shorten this tree, but it's not mine, so it is what it is...aren't they all...

This is great! Thank you!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Top Bottom