Wiring an Aozora satsuki azalea into a whip

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Ronnie mentioned that about some Satsuki too. He didn’t post any last year I was interested in , but I wanted to pick some more up. 2-5-71 (George Drake) which seems to do ok after two winters and is breeding true to form. It also has put out good cuttings.

Ronnie is presently listing Hu 1-3-62 and Hu Early Light Pink (He’s been changing their numbers to names, which is his prerogative as the legacy breeder

I’ll write Ronnie and ask him what is possible.

Cheers
DSD sends
I will check what I have and will send you cuttings of what you want.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you want cuttings, locate who has one and I'll get it and send you cuttings.

Regarding 2-1-22, some of the people of the Northern Virginia chapter of the ASA are growing it. It might be that only a few 2-1-22 still exist. Not sure.
I talked to someone that has it, but trading cuttings US to EU and reverse didn't materialize. We can talk in PM. Don't want to put out names of people in public, as that might be rude.
Would be very cool if the ASA also manages to set up a legacy garden for Huang azaleas. But it is already amazing they have those projects going, period.
The Huang's are so diverse, some of them seem to be pure kurume, some are very much satsuki.
It is just that 2-1-22 is said to be 'exceptional'. And it is a pale coloured flower with a strong blotch, which when it comes to non-satsuki is exactly what interests me.

Yeah, DSD asked Ronnie. I believe for me but maybe also for himself. I think Ronnie voiced some frustration. It sounded like he really wanted to grow 2-1-22 successfully, but just didn't manage. Is he that far from the coast? I don't remember clearly.
It is said to be hardy to 0F on the ASA website.

The 'George Drake' one is also pretty cool, but not really my wish list. Interesting in that it seems to be a variegated kurume-type. I think there used to be a lot more of those in Japan, but they grew out of favour.
So kurume really focused on bright colours and mass of flowers. And satsuki on individual flowers.
And yeah giving them names would be handy. I always have to look up the number when I want to talk about 2-1-22.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Here is an update on the Aozora in blooms Deep Sea Diver gave me. I love it. 😍

Attachments

• PXL_20240416_180349361.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    PXL_20240416_180349361.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20240416_180108978.jpg
    PXL_20240416_180108978.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 14
Top Bottom