Wiring for specific situations

Lionheart

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have group/forest style planting, trident maples, couple years old, just re-potted this spring, in a stoneware pot. I need to wire some trunks to keep ‘em growing the right way. I’ve seen trees wired this way, but never anything that shows how to do it. Is there some info anyone knows about that shows ways to apply wire to trees already in a pot? Thanks!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you have a drainage hole in the pot below, or nearly below, the trees you want to trunk wire?

A photo of what you’re trying to wire will help trigger member's thoughts on what they have done or seen. Post up a photo or two.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Of the absolutely uncountable ways to get it done, you'll find they all have the same two elements, a fulcrum and a lever.

Further exploring the function of these two elements can ensure you don't screw it up.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
To apply wires to trees in pots take trees in pots and wire and apply. Not sure what the problem is so maybe I don't understand what is being asked here.

I agree with @sorce that there are many different ways to achieve most results.
Photos and a better description of what is to be achieved might help get some useful advice.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the OP is asking more about the mechanics of applying wire??

There are different mechanics that work better for different situations. I don't know the formality well myself because I avoid wire more often than not...but some things I do:

* if wiring a single branch, anchor the wire to the trunk with 2 full circles of the trunk with the coil spacing tight
* if wiring 2 branches wire them using the same wire with one trunk wrap in between if possible
* in general, make sure the wire goes under the branch first to help support the joint
* how tight I coil depends. I coil tighter (more wraps) on thicker branches than on thinner.
* don't wire too close to buds...though wire directly behind a bud is fine
* try to have wire supporting the outside of a bend to help prevent splitting
* in general, wire snug but not tight. Fresh, delicate growth I wire very loose and gently guide.
* I wire the branch in place without bends first. Then bend after fully wired.
* I loop the end of the wire to avoid stabbing myself with it later

@Lionheart if this isn't the sort of thing you were asking about then ignore me :D. Heck, even if it is what you were looking for, ignore me...I'm not good at wiring :( If it is though, Google "bonsai wiring techniques" should get you some links a little more about the mechanics than styling.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pics!

Without being mean....

There is a good chance the best thing to do is reconfigure the forest entirely!

Only because 7/10 times this is true.

Sorce

Top Bottom