Wiring into grow boxes?

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Do you need to wire trees into grow boxes? I'm making some wooden boxes out of cedar 1x4s and am unsure if they need wired in since they're comparable depth to bonsai pots. Soil will be perlite, bark and 8822.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pa, regardless of where and how any tree is planted, being stable is critical. In the landscape industry even they stake newly planed trees. The reason is, newly established roots are easily damaged! Then, it's starting all over again, for the roots, if the tree is strong enough OR planting a new tree. There are a gazillion ways to stabilize a tree in a grow box. Just do it!

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Pa, regardless of where and how any tree is planted, being stable is critical. In the landscape industry even they stake newly planed trees. The reason is, newly established roots are easily damaged! Then, it's starting all over again, for the roots, if the tree is strong enough OR planting a new tree. There are a gazillion ways to stabilize a tree in a grow box. Just do it!
so in other words, yes. Lol.

As an aside, the reason I asked was because I was contemplating if I needed to add an extra strip of wood to the bottom of the box for such a purpose; so I will go ahead and add it. Thanks.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Do you need to wire trees into grow boxes? I'm making some wooden boxes out of cedar 1x4s and am unsure if they need wired in since they're comparable depth to bonsai pots. Soil will be perlite, bark and 8822.
In a word yes, wiring them in the box is far better than finding out with the first heavy wind the you should have wired the tree in the box.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure since in nursery pots they're obviously never wired in, but with these being closer to bonsai pot proportions I figured I might need to.

Two more quick questions. If I use something like window screen (since I already have a whole unopened roll) do I have to worry about holes being too small?

And also when wiring trees in I've been told only to use copper, even if using aluminum for everything else. What size copper is sufficient for this?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure since in nursery pots they're obviously never wired in, but with these being closer to bonsai pot proportions I figured I might need to.

Two more quick questions. If I use something like window screen (since I already have a whole unopened roll) do I have to worry about holes being too small?

And also when wiring trees in I've been told only to use copper, even if using aluminum for everything else. What size copper is sufficient for this?
That. Is funny and the exact opposite to what is usually done. Aluminum wire is fine for tying in and it is usually preferred over copper for tying in. Generally it is a more economical choice as well. And easier to reuse than copper.
That being said you can use either if you want.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That. Is funny and the exact opposite to what is usually done. Aluminum wire is fine for tying in and it is usually preferred over copper for tying in. Generally it is a more economical choice as well. And easier to reuse than copper.
That being said you can use either if you want.
Well that's good to know I guess, because I only have aluminum. I figured i'd buy copper later on as the need arose and wasn't looking forward to buying it just for this. What thickness aluminum do I need? Would 2mm be sufficient?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Don’t forget you can also use guy wires and attach them to the top rails of the box or tub. I have done it both ways and it seems to work fine.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What size copper is sufficient for this?

It depends on the pot and the root system.

With either wire, it should be a balance of what you can hide under the pot, in some cases, so it doesn't rock, and what won't scar or otherwise damage, or cut into your roots.

Sorce

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’ve used 2mm aluminum, 1mm seems to break too easily as you twist it. Also if you put wood feet on the bottom corners of the box it won’t rock as Source mentions and it will drain more easily.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The only person I know of who actively campaigns against wiring trees into pots is Nigel Saunders.
I assume this topic comes up due to the popularity of his YouTube videos.
I enjoy his videos as well....but I am not willing to take that risk with my trees.
Also, I think one reason he gets away with it is that he usually puts his trees in a greenhouse to recover from repotting, and there's no wind inside.
Even still, its risky I'd say.....with the winds I get in my yard, all of my trees are wired into their pots and half of them are anchored to the bench as well.

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Start collecting wire scraps when and where you can. You can anneal (soften) coppper electrical wire yourself and save some money. The aluminum wire from electric service entrance cable is very usable if you don't mind the raw aluminum appearance. Seek out friends or family in the trades as a used wire resource.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I assume this topic comes up due to the popularity of his YouTube videos.
In response to this. I'm new and have never used grow boxes. So I just wasn't sure. Right now the things I'm repotting are 1st year seedlings and another small maple. So I just wasn't sure if they needed tied in since the pots weren't nearly as small as bonsai pots. I have no clue who Nigel Saunders is 🤐

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
In response to this. I'm new and have never used grow boxes. So I just wasn't sure. Right now the things I'm repotting are 1st year seedlings and another small maple. So I just wasn't sure if they needed tied in since the pots weren't nearly as small as bonsai pots. I have no clue who Nigel Saunders is 🤐
Ten4 good buddy!

Top Bottom