Wiring Kishu Junipers Issues

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You always want the wire to be on the outside of a bend. Looking at the picture with the wire and zip ties, you can see how the wire in it's current placement would actually help tear the branch away from the trunk if you tried to bend the branch downward right where it attaches to the trunk. A better way would have been to have the wire come from below and wrap directly over the top of the branch, esentially the opposite of what we've got here. Fwiw, it took me years to figure this out on my own... welcome to the club ;) . Another possible contributor to your issue is that the chosen wire might be a bit heavy for the job, and a slightly smaller gauge would probably have been better.
Dav4 nailed it. The wire is too large, which makes it hard to wrap around so that it supports the branch. Instead it is leveraging the branch down and away from the trunk.

All that aside, as long as there’s sufficient wood to support the broken branch, leaving the wire on and letting it callous over will allow the branch to come off at a sharper downward angle.

In fact, it is a valid technique to purposefully cut into the trunk at an angle above the branch! Then wire the branch down. Often you could insert a small pebble into the open slot to help the wire hold it down, then fill with cut paste.

Little known fact: John Naka’s “Goshin” was styled using exactly that technique! He “broke” (using the cutting technique above) the branches to get the branches into position, then wired them. The larger ones had a pebble inserted for support.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here’s a diagram of the technique:

F07B9481-3DD8-4154-B77C-C5C8CAD63E0E.jpeg

Look at Fig. 8. The photos move from right to left. Notice that the cut is made in the TRUNK, above the branch.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks @Adair M

I have heard of this technique before (probably from you responding to another poster 😀) but never really considered using it. Perhaps I am too early in my bonsai journey to have the confidence.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks @Adair M

I have heard of this technique before (probably from you responding to another poster 😀) but never really considered using it. Perhaps I am too early in my bonsai journey to have the confidence.
The benefit is when the cut is made in the trunk tissue, all the tissue that joins the branch and trunk is left intact. The lifeline runs down the trunk to the roots. If the cut is made too close to the branch collar, the branch is considerably weaker.

Also, doing this puts the “bend” right there at the trunk. There’s no artificial arch where the branch grows up, then curves downwards. Of course, there’s a scar for a while until it callouses over.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another technique:

3C0DF9B2-EE40-4C14-9ECE-AE8059D3088A.jpeg

Look at Fig 16. A piece of rebar is tied to the bottom of the branch. Leave a bit of gap between the end of the rebar and the trunk, because when you pull the rebar down, the rebar will get pulled in close to the trunk. This does put strain on the top of the branch collar, and you may get some splitting. Just fill with cut paste and let it heal. This method can be used in conjunction with the cut-the-trunk method described above. The benefit of the rebar is it prevents the artificial arch shape. The whole branch is lowered.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The benefit is when the cut is made in the trunk tissue, all the tissue that joins the branch and trunk is left intact. The lifeline runs down the trunk to the roots. If the cut is made too close to the branch collar, the branch is considerably weaker.
This makes a lot of sense. Thanks @Adair M hope you had a good 4th.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another technique:

View attachment 445302

Look at Fig 16. A piece of rebar is tied to the bottom of the branch. Leave a bit of gap between the end of the rebar and the trunk, because when you pull the rebar down, the rebar will get pulled in close to the trunk. This does put strain on the top of the branch collar, and you may get some splitting. Just fill with cut paste and let it heal. This method can be used in conjunction with the cut-the-trunk method described above. The benefit of the rebar is it prevents the artificial arch shape. The whole branch is lowered.
Hi @Adair M ... In which book are these techniques described?

Top Bottom