Wiring Question

TLK

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am very new to bonsai (my kids bought me a beginner book for Christmas a few years back). Anyway my two-year old tree looks like the branches are starting to out grow the beginning wiring I did when I first started. Do I unwrap the wire and rewrap so those branches don't get any more damage?

Attachments

• tempImage6jdbC9.png
    tempImage6jdbC9.png
    582.7 KB · Views: 61
  • tempImageCvd4mT.png
    tempImageCvd4mT.png
    444.7 KB · Views: 57

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome Aboard B’Nut!,

Yes, it is definitely time. You can just remove the areas where the wire is biting in. You may leave the other parts intact as long as the those sections are stable. If you choose to rewire, do so in the opposite direction. Also think how perhaps using guy wires, in addition to wiring, might help in the future

Finally, please double click your icon on top of the page and include your appropriate location and USDA zone. This will help us when you ask for other advice. Also you may find others in your area interesting in bonsai too.

cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Definitely remove that wire. It should have been taken off well before the branch started growing round it. You may even find that some bark could peel off as you take that wire out if it has dug in deep enough in places, especially if it is early summer where you are (see request above to add a location because seasons are important to bonsai) when the bark slips more easily. Small areas of bark off is no real problem and the tree will just heal up but those wire marks will be there for years to come. If you are rough and strip bark off right round a branch the section above will die so remove wires carefully in spring or summer!

Rewiring is optional. I'd expect the trunks should stay where they are by now. It usually only takes a few months for branches to set in the new positions. Contrary to some popular newbie thinking wire is not necessary to a bonsai. We only use wire if the shape needs to be altered. After that the wires are not needed.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was that annealed "Bonsai Wire", like from a kit or something?

If not it may be right difficult to unwind, not impossible, you just need a lot of precise leverage, so be careful!

Welcome to Crazy!

One of us here is from SSM, AND, they are awesome!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretty confident that's not me????

No, I reckon you aren't from Silver Springs, MD, however, you are definitely a lead in the awesome class!

Sorce

TLK

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for all the quick replies! I removed the wire and while there is a small indent no bark came off and it looks ok. Glad I checked in when I did! Also updated my profile to include location (MD) and zone (7)

Top Bottom