Wiring spruce in winter

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In a number of threads here on junipers and some other conifers there have been warnings about leaving wire on branches during the winter as this may cause dieback or loss of the whole branch. However some sources recommend pruning and wiring spruce in late summer/fall (Aug-Nov) and say it can take several years for the new branch positions to set. So is it OK to leave the wire on spruce (Norway in particular) in winter or should it be removed and then reapplied later and if so when? I pruned and wired a Norway spruce in August and it is putting out all kinds of new buds all over the old branches so I am a bit hesitant to remove the wire unless necessary for fear of knocking off these new buds.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
it seems to me that spruces in nature get formed with snow in winter... (obviously not the same... but still just an observation)

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wire does no have any detrimental effects if left on in winter. It is a myth. Branches die back because their cambium layer was separated from the hardwood (especially true for junipers) not due to the wire getting too cold. In fact, the wire gets only as cold as the air around it, so that should not be a factor for branch viability. Your trees should be fine

Top Bottom