Wiring under the influence...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yesterday, I started wiring my Ezo Spruce. I wired for an hour or two in the morning, then came back in the afternoon, and gave it another couple hours. Relaxing, taking my time. This tree is another “two Fronted Tree”, and I got both sides of the lower foliage masses done.

Began doing the upper section this morning. Drinking my coffee, and enjoying the process, and time with my tree.

And then, it occurred to me... In the mornings, I have my coffee with me as I wire. In the afternoons, I’ll have a glass of wine!

I wonder if my choice of beverage is affecting my wiring and styling?

Here’s the tree, in its mid-wiring condition:

BD85A2DD-C70A-428D-97E9-4E98C7B744BA.jpeg

I haven’t started the apex, yet. (That will be a wine session! LOL!!!). It’s a beautiful day out by the pond. Working in the sun at 57 degrees F.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice natural image, love the backdrop. I often wire with a shot of brandy, its very soothing.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Nice tree! I've never had much luck with spruce of any type...just too hot or I would sure have a garden full.

Reaction score
Cool tree👌👌 I stopped drinking while working on my trees. Distracted too quickly. I perform less when I have been drinking.

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yesterday, I started wiring my Ezo Spruce. I wired for an hour or two in the morning, then came back in the afternoon, and gave it another couple hours. Relaxing, taking my time. This tree is another “two Fronted Tree”, and I got both sides of the lower foliage masses done.

Began doing the upper section this morning. Drinking my coffee, and enjoying the process, and time with my tree.

And then, it occurred to me... In the mornings, I have my coffee with me as I wire. In the afternoons, I’ll have a glass of wine!

I wonder if my choice of beverage is affecting my wiring and styling?

Here’s the tree, in its mid-wiring condition:

View attachment 345677

I haven’t started the apex, yet. (That will be a wine session! LOL!!!). It’s a beautiful day out by the pond. Working in the sun at 57 degrees F.
I'd think that a single glass of wine shouldn't negatively affect your wiring. The main issue with alcohol and important activities such as driving is the delay in your reflexes. For wiring you don't need to have a quick reaction time, I'd even say that being a bit more relaxed (not six glasses-relaxed) could be beneficial. But I'm not a doctor or an experimented bonsai artist, 😅.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Reminds me of this one. From Mr. Iwaski's garden in the fall of 2000. I am pretty sure this one had one of those little metal tags that indicate it is an Important Bonsai Masterpiece. Had to be at least 4 feet wide. Sony Mavica photo:) 58kb

MVC-734S.JPG

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good idea. Maybe I should start bringing some wine into the shed.
I find I am at my most creative when taking a drip or two of wine. THe most complex programming I have done was late at night with a few drops of wine.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Reminds me of this one. From Mr. Iwaski's garden in the fall of 2000. I am pretty sure this one had one of those little metal tags that indicate it is an Important Bonsai Masterpiece. Had to be at least 4 feet wide. Sony Mavica photo:) 58kb

View attachment 345680
Wow!!! That’s exactly the “look” I’m shooting for!

Thanks for posting that picture, John!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How long has this one been with you?
I got it around the first of March last spring.

I shaded it 1/2 of the day all last summer.

JWP do really well for me, so the thought is: if my climate can support those, then it should be ok for Ezo, too. Of course, we’ll find out!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Adair, don't you have a large beer/wine cooler literally 30 feet away from where you sit and work on your trees?... I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this really isn't your first offense... :p
You mean this?

9453B77A-75CE-4FB9-BEB0-8DF97E11270E.jpeg

Hey??? Where did that picture come from? Who stuck that picture in my “Favorites”??? Dave, have you hack Ed my iPhone, AGAIN??? I would NEVER have such a thing in my house!

Wait... is that fish food on the bottom shelf? Oh, yeah... that reminds me... gotta go feed the koi!

Last edited:
Top Bottom