Wiring

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So in full honesty, my wiring skills suck! I am ok wiring trunks, but anything beyond that starts looking like a real amateur did it. Does anyone have a video or article that really helped them?
Also, I’ve noticed that partial wiring of trees causes an explosion of growth to branches that aren’t wired? Do you all wire the whole tree every time?
Thanks for any suggestions or guidance you can provide.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Keep practicing and make sure you have well annealed wire if you use copper. The annealing really makes a difference.

I suck at wiring too, but I'm improving every time. Think before you act, plan it out. And also accept that sometimes you just did a bad job and it has to be done again.
Bonsai Mirai interview with Dan Robinson made me feel a lot better. He said something like this: wiring is a temporary tool, and tools can be ugly. If the results are the same in the end, how much does it matter what it looks like for 3 months on the way there?

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I saw the same interview and heard him say that too 😂 It definitely made me feel better, although I still would like to perfect my craft. Some trees will require it to stay on for awhile and to be straight, it really bothers me if it’s not perfect. While so much is out of our control with these trees, knowledge is certainly controllable.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
First off wiring and growth. When one wires a bends a trees branches the plant cells get broken and or distorted. This slows or stalls growth in that region, depending on the severity of the bends. It takes a couple weeks to more then a month for this to resolve. The growth of the parts not wired are not under this handicap, the growth there continues unabated, or even accelerates temporarily.

Second. We really admire Dan Robinson, yet he is quite a bit unconventional. One has to take the best he has to offer and blend this in with the best others have to offer. Dan ancient and gnarly tree working techniques are not for everyone.
We recently wired two gnarly trees in a workshop with Dan this spring. He has his own way of wiring, doesn’t use copper and generally lays on wire as he sees fit. In the end it’s effective, yet can be pretty hard to look at and occasionally not so good for tree that needs to be conventionally aesthetically pleasing. Especially younger stock.
However his emphasis on use of guy wires whenever possible is spot on imho.

For beginners, or those that feel their wiring needs to be tuned up, Colin Lewis’s video is a good basic run.

However, after one has finished Colin Lewis’s wiring primer and practiced the basics on trees, I would recommend studying at a deeper level.

Structural wiring.
Basic structural wiring as applied to primary design.

Detail Wiring.
In depth detail wiring showing prep, theory and variations on secondary and tertiary detail wiring.

Have fun!

Cheers
DSD sends

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
First off wiring and growth. When one wires a bends a trees branches the plant cells get broken and or distorted. This slows or stalls growth in that region, depending on the severity of the bends. It takes a couple weeks to more then a month for this to resolve. The growth of the parts not wired are not under this handicap, the growth there continues unabated, or even accelerates temporarily.

Second. We really admire Dan Robinson, yet he is quite a bit unconventional. One has to take the best he has to offer and blend this in with the best others have to offer. Dan ancient and gnarly tree working techniques are not for everyone.
We recently wired two gnarly trees in a workshop with Dan this spring. He has his own way of wiring, doesn’t use copper and generally lays on wire as he sees fit. In the end it’s effective, yet can be pretty hard to look at and occasionally not so good for tree that needs to be conventionally aesthetically pleasing. Especially younger stock.

For beginners, or those that feel their wiring needs to be tuned up, Colin Lewis’s video is a good basic run.

However, after one has finished Colin Lewis’s wiring primer and practiced the basics on trees, I would recommend studying at a deeper level.

Structural wiring.

Detail Wiring.
In depth detail wiring showing prep, theory and variations on secondary and tertiary detail wiring.

Have fun!

Cheers
DSD sends
Definitely one thing I’ve been doing wrong is entering from the bottom and attempting to lower the branch. Now I know I was suppose to be coming from above 🤪

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely one thing I’ve been doing wrong is entering from the bottom and attempting to lower the branch. Now I know I was suppose to be coming from above 🤪
Rule of thum: Always wire in a way that when the bend is made, the wire is tighter. (Or place the branch and THEN wire it.

DavidBoren

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
After watching those videos, things will be QUITE different next time.

I'm glad I made my attempt, before watching the videos, though. I am even more glad that my tree survived my horrible attempt, so there can be a next time.

20220728_163137.jpg20220823_233809.jpg

Last edited:

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Rule of thum: Always wire in a way that when the bend is made, the wire is tighter. (Or place the branch and THEN wire it.
I’d like to watch your video as well, do you have a link?

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So maybe someone can help me with this too. I have been buying the $15 bundles of wire off of Amazon. While it has gotten the job done, I feel there has to be a more economical and reasonable way. Where are you guys buying larger rolls of wire from? What sizes are you mostly buying? Thanks for the insight!!!

Ben in Kzoo

Yamadori
Reaction score
So maybe someone can help me with this too. I have been buying the $15 bundles of wire off of Amazon. While it has gotten the job done, I feel there has to be a more economical and reasonable way. Where are you guys buying larger rolls of wire from? What sizes are you mostly buying? Thanks for the insight!!!
I have copper wire available if you want, some aluminum too. PM if interested

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like to buy the medium or large rolls from American bonsai. The more you buy the better the price.

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A good way to practice is to wire up recently pruned branches and the like and test how far theyll let you go, as others have also said, its something that comes with time. learn the fundamental concepts of wire application and just grind the skill out.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So in full honesty, my wiring skills suck! I am ok wiring trunks, but anything beyond that starts looking like a real amateur did it. Does anyone have a video or article that really helped them?
Also, I’ve noticed that partial wiring of trees causes an explosion of growth to branches that aren’t wired? Do you all wire the whole tree every time?
Thanks for any suggestions or guidance you can provide.
I would sign up for the free trial of bonsai mirai and watch the two streams called detail wiring. Not saying I’m good at it after that but at least I know how it should be done and I just need to practice the motor skills. Also aluminum is easier to apply because it’s softer but it won’t hold as well when you place the branch. However it’s a good way to start.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So as a reference this was the bad wiring job that sparked my interest in getting better. Everything will surely be cut back, but I wanted to get initial movement in the structure.

Attachments

• A6E434E7-328E-4DD2-9DC2-E59E5F90B1C2.jpeg
    A6E434E7-328E-4DD2-9DC2-E59E5F90B1C2.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 27

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Structural wiring.

Detail Wiring.

Have fun!

Cheers
DSD sends
I’ve never heard that about the damaged cells slowing growth but it makes sense. Thanks for the knowledge.

I’ve bought wire from Amazon, American bonsai, and a guy down in Kentucky or somewhere. I’d have to look up the name but I found his info on here. You email them your order then he ships it to you. I bought the copper wire starter pack that includes a bunch of different gauges. Very happy thus far with it.

Lastly, the suggestion of wiring recently pruned branches is not bad. In those videos that’s what Ryan Neil does. Even now I can hear him echoing in my head “same angle, same spacing, no gaps” lol. Personally I just don’t want to waste wire practicing. My practice will be on my trees.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We get wire from a number of places… when its on sale is the best. 2.2 Kilo rolls for aluminum. Siome Lantern was the last place I got aluminum wire.

Copper, I usually double what I think I'll need for the year plus more. The last place purchased was Adams McKinney bonsai.

Imho if one wants to learn to wire, one of the very best trees to learn proper technique is azaleas.

Or, in other words … DSD’s 8 reasons to learn wiring on azaleas.
  • Aluminum wire is used, so one doesn’t have to fight the wire while one is learning technique and layout. Also aluminum wire can be reused a number of times. Finally it’s cheaper!
  • The bark is delicate, so one learns to lay the wire on softly, but firmly
  • The wood is hard for larger branches, so one has to have decent contact and layout - or when bending snap! (Has happened to me many times.
  • Once you start getting good try wiring the green (new) wood. This requires a light touch and good technique, but can be done. If the new branch snaps there’s a great chance a new branch will grow out quickly in the break area.
  • Azaleas can be wired at least twice in a year. So lots of practice time.
  • Guy wires can be used, giving one practice on using these. I use clear Tygon tubing to protect the delicate bark of the branches
  • Azaleas are cheap. I started practicing on nursery azaleas. $8 a tree!
  • One can make a decent bonsai in five years and a really nice one in ten. Contrast this with most other trees!
….and that’s all Folks!

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom