Wisteria and Pot Contest

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Tom,
Before I give a couple choices I guess I better ask.
Is this just a "wisteria and best pot contest" or is it a "virtualizing" contest?
I'm trying to decide if I should bother:D
Dale

Dale, its the best pot match to tree. Its not a "virtualizing" contest. This is a friendly little contest, kinda like a pick up football or baseball game we played as kids. {Edit: include hockey...sorry Attila}

However saying the above. You want your picture clear and unblurred so the judges can have a clear impression of your selection (s) and where your taking your idea. You obviously want to put your best foot forward.

To give you an idea what the judges are looking at. Here is an excerpt from an email during the discussion regarding judging. "thoughts are to award points for appropriate size, shape, color and overall 'feel' - this will be the hardest one to be subjective about."

So give it a shot Dale would love to see what you have in mind.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Tom,
Before I give a couple choices I guess I better ask.
Is this just a "wisteria and best pot contest" or is it a "virtualizing" contest?
I'm trying to decide if I should bother:D
Dale

Amen, Dale! This looks like fun, and if I can get enough going on my new Photoshop Elements, I will submit two entries, too!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Time to fire up Adobe PhotoShop CS2 and give this a go......

Virts rock!

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Perfect. :D

Yeah, well I have CS3... But that still doesn't mean I can make good virts... ;)

Sorry to hear that. :(

For those of you that are a little rusty, see my tutorial on virtual pot selection over at AoB.

Will

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will,

Could you please provide a link?

thanks,

andy

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It just occurred to me that some people may like to participate that don't have photo editing software. So for those people I would suggest GIMP. This free software is similar to photoshop. You can go HERE and down load it for free.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Ok, here's my second attempt. I used a tokoname pot but tweaked it so much it doesn't look much like the original pic.

Attachments

• potsuggestion1.jpg
    potsuggestion1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 57

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just to interject here something for practical reasons:

In order to flower, but also to stay healthy, the wisteria needs a fairly good root-space. The Wisteria has massive roots, and in the summer it is a water-guzzler.

This requirement needs to be considered when choosing a pot. Too shallow pots will be useless. So, for instance, the last pot here from No it's not is a nice one, but unusable. Rick's pot is much deeper, so it is suitable for this plant.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b

In order to flower, but also to stay healthy, the wisteria needs a fairly good root-space. The Wisteria has massive roots, and in the summer it is a water-guzzler.

This requirement needs to be considered when choosing a pot. Too shallow pots will be useless. So, for instance, the last pot here from No it's not is a nice one, but unusable. Rick's pot is much deeper, so it is suitable for this plant.

Thank you Attila for pointing that out. However, I'm not in this friendly contest to show off my (lack of) horticultural skills. I'm in it solely for the esthetic part. "Best" for me means "best esthetically" when it comes to virtual competitions.

Now get off your high horticultural horses and put your money where your mouth is!! :p
(written VERY toungue-in-cheek!)

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good horticultural info Attila.

However if I didn't know better I would swear your trying to psyc out the competition as is common in sand lot games. Hey batta batta batta ;)

Tiny Lumberjack

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A oval Erin Pottery pot I found on Harry Harrington's site. I squashed it a bit and glazed it a virt blue... It was the first picture to come up when I searched for bonsai pot on google images!

Attachments

• bn virt pot.jpg
    bn virt pot.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 51
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Good horticultural info Attila.

However if I didn't know better I would swear your trying to psyc out the competition as is common in sand lot games. Hey batta batta batta ;)

I'll get back on him when he posts his suggestions. I'm gonna go all "that doesn't work because it's ugly" or something ;)

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now get off your high horticultural horses and put your money where your mouth is!! :p
(written VERY toungue-in-cheek!)

No problem, I know you are one of the nicer guys in this community,

But sorry, you couldn't pay me enough to spend my time on doing virtuals, I barely have a minute or two to put two sentences together here. My rule of thumb for Internet forums is that if it takes more than 3 minutes to post something, I just can't (and won't) do it. Life is too short. :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
No problem, I know you are one of the nicer guys in this community,

But sorry, you couldn't pay me enough to spend my time on doing virtuals, I barely have a minute or two to put two sentences together here. My rule of thumb for Internet forums is that if it takes more than 3 minutes to post something, I just can't (and won't) do it. Life is too short. :)

That's ok, you don't have to spend more than 3 minutes on a virtual. After all, what's the use? You would never even get close to my supreme and utterly god-like virtuals even if you spent the rest of your life on a single one!

:) Just paying back!

Seriously though, if I ever get a Wisteria I'll probably be thankful for your advice!

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
... you don't have to spend more than 3 minutes on a virtual. After all, what's the use? You would never even get close to my supreme and utterly god-like virtuals even if you spent the rest of your life on a single one!

That's probably true. Your virtual is as perfect as it can be, I really like it.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score

Sorry but I must disagree with some your statements. IMHO and experience wisteria seem to profusely flower only once they have become root bound, which can be achieved quicker in a smaller container. Often the key to making a wisteria bloom if it has been reluctant in the past is to disturb and remove roots, particually those big fat ones. They are basically invasive weeds and I have had success removing almost all of the roots except for some very fine ones when transplanting.

No arguments on them needing plenty of water in the summer. A little water deprivation and wilting doesn't really hurt them and may contibute to more prolific bloming. I think it's a survival instinct for them to bloom and set seeds if in danger.

Tom - when does the contest end? I have been MIA and didn't really see when I looked thru the posts. I'm swamped but would love to enter if I can find time. Sorry to ask if you have previously posted the info.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tom - when does the contest end? I have been MIA and didn't really see when I looked thru the posts. I'm swamped but would love to enter if I can find time. Sorry to ask if you have previously posted the info.

Graydon, this Sunday, midnight (EST), the 20th. Hope to see you get into the fray.

cantstopsmilin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
It just occurred to me that some people may like to participate that don't have photo editing software. So for those people I would suggest GIMP. This free software is similar to photoshop. You can go HERE and down load it for free.

Thanks! i've never done a virtual before or ever used a program like photoshop, but this program worked well and was really easy to use :) anyways, here is my first sub (and my first virtual ever!) um... it is a pot i found at Sara Rayner's Bonsai Pottery and i thought it would work well. ... the pot in the picture may be a little small, but that is just due to my lack of skills, anyways, size can be adjusted as well as shape, as requests can be made... but here is my 1st virtual.

Attachments

• wisteriavirtual.jpeg
    wisteriavirtual.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 51
Top Bottom