Wisteria and Pot Contest

cscott

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What fun! I watched a demo of Photoshop 6.0 last night and can't wait for the MAC version. A Virtual bonsai paradise awaits.

Here is my entry #1. It took WAY TOO MUCH TIME that would have been much better spent wiring a tree.

The pot is by John Pitt. The wisteria flowers are stolen from an internet image search.

Carmen

Attachments

• Wisteria-John-Pit-pot.jpg
    Wisteria-John-Pit-pot.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 41

bretts

Shohin
Reaction score
Dam my Gimp won't work even after reloading
It worked last month Hmmm
any other good free photo shop?

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just a reminder that there is 36 hours left to submit entries. If you plan on submiting, I would suggest you fire up your photo editing software and get busy :)

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Pot by John Pitt.

I like the somewhat primitive look to the pot. It compliments the unkempt growth habits of the wisteria, but allows the tree to remain soft.

Christian

Attachments

• wisteria_and_primitive2.jpg
    wisteria_and_primitive2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 27

cscott

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Entry #2. I learned some new features with Photoshop on this one.

Thanks for the opportunity to go wild. Just wish I hadn't stayed up past midnight, but as we all know time stops while on the computer, and when working on bonsai. At least with the bonsai it feels like something was accomplished!

Carmen

Attachments

• Wisteria-w-flowers.jpg
    Wisteria-w-flowers.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 25

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This pot is a VERY old high quality Japanese pot in a beautiful scalloped design with a gorgeous blue glaze. I think the color would compliment any color of wisteria flower. I have owned this pot for many years and in 'real life' it contains a beautiful pink kurume azalea in a semi-cascade design.
Dale

Attachments

• dale4.jpg
    dale4.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 40

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For my second entry
I would like to use a pot of my own design. This large pot is finished with a blue 'splattered' glaze. The colors are a bit off on the virtual so I am also enclosing another view of the pot with colors that are a bit truer. I think the blue splattered and speckled glaze really compliments the flowers and the shape is perfect for the supplied tree.
Dale

Attachments

• dale5.jpg
    dale5.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Large semicascade bluegray2.jpg
    Large semicascade bluegray2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 18

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
whatta you think?

Attachments

• wist-pot.jpg
    wist-pot.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 17

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The contest has officially ended. No other entries will be excepted. Please feel free to post other non qualifing renditions if you'd like. Thank you to those that participated. Your entries have been submitted to the judges.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
For a little fun while the judges ponder the entries please see the thread Peoples Choice Award.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Now that the contest is over I have a few thoughts I want to share.

"match a pot with this wisteria"

No one asked the question on the thread about the size of the nebari or root spread.....
In order to match a pot with the tree is not this an important aspect?
And how many of the pots (virts) shown would handle the true size of this tree?
Mom

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Now that the contest is over I have a few thoughts I want to share.

"match a pot with this wisteria"

No one asked the question on the thread about the size of the nebari or root spread.....
Insignificant in a virtual world IMO.

I believe Tom was looking more for style vice size, which again IMO a suitable container of the correct proportions can be acquired at a later date. Although Wisterias take well to cutting back hard (including their roots), the tree should be potted up in a training pot first, then into it's final resting place. A training pot can be anything or suitable proportions that will permit root growth. Because Wisterias like having their roots cut back, it is not uncommon to be repotting Wisterias every year to every other year, even with established bonsais.

And how many of the pots (virts) shown would handle the true size of this tree?
Mom
Every single one of them, the pot was virtualized to fit the tree, isn't VW just snazy:)

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Insignificant in a virtual world IMO.

I believe Tom was looking more for style vice size, which again IMO a suitable container of the correct proportions can be acquired at a later date. Although Wisterias take well to cutting back hard (including their roots), the tree should be potted up in a training pot first, then into it's final resting place. A training pot can be anything or suitable proportions that will permit root growth. Because Wisterias like having their roots cut back, it is not uncommon to be repotting Wisterias every year to every other year, even with established bonsais.

Every single one of them, the pot was virtualized to fit the tree, isn't VW just snazy:)

I am not to sure that it is insignificant.
Perhaps Tom can clarify what is the most important aspect of this.
Even in a virtual the realistic size has to be considered.

Mom

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
... size has absolutely nothing to do in a virtual world, as the pot can be stretched, shrunk etc... to match the trunk thickness and spread of the canopy, nothing else matters. In the virtual world, we try to represent as much as we can following convention. Shallow pots once again IMO although in the virtual world, did not convey this message (they did not reflect the trunks diameter.

In the real world however, size does matter hence why I stated the original potting will need to be in a training pot (and we all have those lying around). This will permit Tom to make an educated guess as to the overall dimensions of a/the pot for its final resting place.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am not to sure that it is insignificant.
Perhaps Tom can clarify what is the most important aspect of this.
Even in a virtual the realistic size has to be considered.
Hi Irene, with only 3 hours sleep after closing the contest and opening peoples choice will do my best to answer your question.

Rick hit it pretty dead on. Being a virt you have the ability to become a potter and create your own pot to fit the tree. The cheapest hand made pot you will probably ever have a chance to create. Your statement about realistic size is a correct one in regards to a virtual composition. However I would say that the actual size of the tree has little meaning. Correct proportioning does ...i.e. space between the pot lip and the edge of the trunk. Depth of pot in relationship to the tree and possibly whether it is horticulturally sound. This all is part of the feel of the tree and the total composition. If you scroll back to a post Attila made on pot choices, he addresses your statement quite nicely. The bottom line here really is what the judges feel when they look at your entry taking into account shape, size and over all feel. Which by definition is the composition.

Hope I answered your question....I'm off for more espresso

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Thats because it was listed in the thread Some Previews mentioned in the opening sentence of this thread. That thread is what inspired this contest.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Results from two of the three judges are in. If I can find my cattle prod results from the third will be in shortly and the totals posted.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Time to introduce you to the judges.

The judging team is comprised of three people from 4MAAT a bonsai study group. They are, Ian "the Brit" Burke, Flex Houvig, and Rich Bozek. Ian and Flex are both Bnut members. For more info on these judges and 4MAAT visit here.

Top Bottom