Wisteria and Pot Contest

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Contest Results

Below you will find the contest results. I would like to thank everyone for participating. I had a lot of fun seeing the entries and as always learned a thing or two and perhaps will do this again in the future. Next time with multiple categories.

You will find the three judging scores with the average score at the end. Each judges score will have there initial to denote their score

I will save my congratulations for the bottom of the post. I don't want to spoil the read. For those that flip to the back of a murder mystery to find out who did it, feel free to scroll to the bottom:)

Entry 1 by No its Not, 5.25(F), 7.50(I), 4.00(R) / 5.58 Avg Score

Entry 2 by JohnG, 4.75(F), 6.40(I), 5.25(R) / 5.46 Avg Score

Entry 3 by Bill Vallavanis, 6.50(F), 8.50(I), 6.50(R) / 7.16 Avg Score

Entry 4 by Rick Moquin, 4.50(F), 7.12(I), 5.00 (R) / 5.54 Avg Score

Entry 5 by No its Not, 8.25(F), 6.62(I), 2.25(R) / 5.70 Avg Score

Entry 6 by Tiny lumberjack, 8.50(F), 6.12(I), 5.50(R) / 6.70 Avg Score

Entry 7 by Cantstopsmilin, 4.25(F), 7.75(I), 5.00(R) / 5.66 Avg Score

Entry 8 by Rick Moquin, 4.50(F), 7.12(I), 5.00(R) / 5.54 Avg. Score

Entry 9 by IreneB, 4.00(F), 5.62(I), 2.00(R) / 3.87 Avg Score

Entry10 by Cantstopsmilin, 5.00(F), 7.00(I), 4.50(R) / 5.50 Avg Score

Entry11 by cscott, 5.75(F), 8.00(I), 7.25(R) / 7.00 Avg Score

Entry12 by Chasen, 5.75(F), 8.40(I), 3.50(R) / 5.88 Avg Score

Entry13 by Chasen, 5.50(F), 7.37(I), 3.50(R) / 5.45 Avg Score

Entry14 by cscott, 5.50(F), 8.60(I), 3.00(R) / 5.70 Avg Score

Entry15 by Dale Cochoy, 4.25(F), 8.80(I), 7.75(R) / 6.93 Avg Score

Entry16 by Dale Cochoy, 7.25(F), 6.87(I), 3.50(R) / 5.87 Avg Score

Entry17 by Bwaynef, 7.75(F), 6.00(I), 4.00(R) / 5.91 Avg Score

Congratulations Bill! This was a close contest for in many respects only being separated by a few tenths of a point. The choices will defiantly give me something to think about when this tree gets potted this spring.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Congrats Bill!

I'm extremely pleased to see that pot choice is a lot more subjective than I thought!
Entry 5 by No its Not, 8.25(F), 6.62(I), 2.25(R) / 5.70 Avg Score

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Emil, I have known Ian, Flex, and Rich for a long time. I felt very confident that they could be subjective. Part of the Ho Yoku training that we went through was exactly this. They even surprised me knowing them for so long as to there choices versus there personal taste.

This contest would seem to show, at least at this writing, is that when flowering trees are involved. A more "traditional" pot approach is preferred by most than than a contemporary one. This I believe is demonstrated by our small sampling in both this contest and the peoples choice contest.

Anyone have thoughts on why this might be so?

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
This was fun!
And I did enjoy seeing what and where each person's thoughts were in this process ;) ...
Mom

Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
This contest would seem to show, at least at this writing, is that when flowering trees are involved. A more "traditional" pot approach is preferred by most than than a contemporary one. This I believe is demonstrated by our small sampling in both this contest and the peoples choice contest.

Anyone have thoughts on why this might be so?

I'm too inexperienced to even tell the difference between a traditional and a contemporary pot. I usually just go with the gut. I wish I would have made more of an effort in my research regarding available pots to use for this contest, though. But then again, I don't know if the result for me would have been different. What I mean is that this contest shows that it basically comes down to personal preference (wich I think is a good thing, don't get me wrong) wich pot to use. To me, Bills choice is horrible (my purple pot is just as horrible in retrospect) but the beauty of the whole thing is that for me this contest is an eye-opener in the sense that it tells me to trust myself rather than the "Rules".

I also want to thank you Tom or hosting this contest. It's definetly one of the most interesting and worthwhile threads on this forum thus far. I hope that in the future we could have more threads like these (not necessarily a contest) that involves a lot of different thoughts and no bickering. I've visited several times a day just to see if these two threads were updated!

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Congratz Bill:p

I'd like to thank Emil for the great virt work he did with the pot selections/pictures I sent him.

Tom, Where was the 'Peoples Choice' figured in??

Dale

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I'm too inexperienced to even tell the difference between a traditional and a contemporary pot. I usually just go with the gut. I wish I would have made more of an effort in my research regarding available pots to use for this contest, though. But then again, I don't know if the result for me would have been different. What I mean is that this contest shows that it basically comes down to personal preference (wich I think is a good thing, don't get me wrong) wich pot to use. To me, Bills choice is horrible (my purple pot is just as horrible in retrospect) but the beauty of the whole thing is that for me this contest is an eye-opener in the sense that it tells me to trust myself rather than the "Rules".

I also want to thank you Tom or hosting this contest. It's definetly one of the most interesting and worthwhile threads on this forum thus far. I hope that in the future we could have more threads like these (not necessarily a contest) that involves a lot of different thoughts and no bickering. I've visited several times a day just to see if these two threads were updated!

Emil, very perseptive of you...
Bonsai is the beginnings as well as the middle and the end...The journey for Bonsai is the Joy we all have in it. So each pot is right and there is no wrong and each are just perfect to the ones who submitted them...It is the eye of the beholder to what makes it right for you as the individual...
And Yes this was fun and informational as well and Yes I would love to see more threads like this with out all the conflict. But it is the passion that drives each of us.
Mom

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tom, Where was the 'Peoples Choice' figured in??
That contest doesn't end till tonight Dale the exact time is posted at the top of the poll results. 'Peoples Choice' is a totally different contest. Those results are separate from this. The idea behind that contest was to see how the communities preference stacked up against the judges.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Would it be possible for (at least the two Bnut-members) the judges to share their reasoning regarding the pots? I realize that's a lot of work to go through all of them but at least for the top three or something like that? It would be fun to see how much seasoned Bonsaipeople go with gut vs. "rules"...

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Would it be possible for (at least the two Bnut-members) the judges to share their reasoning regarding the pots? I realize that's a lot of work to go through all of them but at least for the top three or something like that? It would be fun to see how much seasoned Bonsaipeople go with gut vs. "rules"...

Let it go son...
Mom

cantstopsmilin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Congrats Bill and thanks Tachigi for .. hosting? this contest :) it was great, i learnt so much and did better than i thought i'd do since i've never mached any pots with trees before, i agree we should have more of these contests, even if there is no prize, to see what people like best and what pots are produced :) thanks :)

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Emil, Flex and Ian said they would be pleased to respond to any inquiry posted. So I am going to start a thread where you can post these inquiries.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Emil, Flex and Ian said they would be pleased to respond to any inquiry posted. So I am going to start a thread where you can post these inquiries.

Nice, I also liked the fact that you posted your own thoughts regarding wich pot to use. Choosing pot is hard, wich this contest shows, and the more experienced members willing to elaborate on their choice the better for us ceramically/esthetically challenged...

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thought I'd post a follow up with a post as to where the wisteria ended up.

The shape of the pot was pretty much what I wanted with a reticulated rim. The color while having an ever so slight hint of purple (which doesn't show up in the picture) is not really where I wanted to go. A custom pot at this point in time is not in the cards for me, so a nice Yixing pot was the only choice. Perhaps in the future myself or even a new owner can rectify that.

I'll post another when it is in full bloom so you can see how it works with some color.

Attachments

• jsw_p1070111.jpg
    jsw_p1070111.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 45
Top Bottom