Wisteria bonsai tree from seed

BTrees3

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello Bonsai People,

I’m completely new to growing Bonsai tree’s. I haven’t grown a single thing my entire life up until now. I’ve got 2 wisteria seedlings I’m super proud of! They’re growing up so fast, and I was wondering if I could get any advice on things I should be doing now or in the near future to ensure bonsai happiness. I’ve spent all morning trying to find information online for Bonsai advice on the current stage my seedlings are at, but couldn’t find anything. So any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you :)

Attachments

• 0E4B8656-14BE-4EED-AC0A-E1FC54E527FF.jpeg
    0E4B8656-14BE-4EED-AC0A-E1FC54E527FF.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 59

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello Bonsai People,

I’m completely new to growing Bonsai tree’s. I haven’t grown a single thing my entire life up until now. I’ve got 2 wisteria seedlings I’m super proud of! They’re growing up so fast, and I was wondering if I could get any advice on things I should be doing now or in the near future to ensure bonsai happiness. I’ve spent all morning trying to find information online for Bonsai advice on the current stage my seedlings are at, but couldn’t find anything. So any help is greatly appreciated!

The stage your wisteria are at is infant stage. They have no real bonsai care ahead for at least a decade or so. The most impressive (and reliably flowering) wisteria bonsai are developed using old or very old wisteria trunks collected from the ground. Some things to think about (And keep searching here on wisteria, there are many threads on its) Wisteria don't flower for up to ten years from seed. Wisteria take A LOT of care to get them in shape for two weeks in the summer when they look their best. The rest of the time, they're mostly a pain in the rear end. In ground wisteria planted near structures like houses and sheds can rip off siding and even lift them off foundations is left unattended for years.

If you live in an area where wisteria lives in landscapes, you might want to find a more mature trunk you can collect--which is pretty easy with this species.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sometimes negativity can take over a thread so just stopping by to say that everything rockm said is true, not knocking that but a positive to continue with your seedling, even if you do go find a more mature one you can propagate, if you can keep your seedling alive for 10 - 15 years and watch it flower for the first time, you will be 10X more proud then the one you propagated. So id say stick with your seedling but also consider what rockm said. Also keep in mind that every part of this vine is poisonous especially the seed pods, so if you have any pets like I do keep them away.

BTrees3

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The stage your wisteria are at is infant stage. They have no real bonsai care ahead for at least a decade or so. The most impressive (and reliably flowering) wisteria bonsai are developed using old or very old wisteria trunks collected from the ground. Some things to think about (And keep searching here on wisteria, there are many threads on its) Wisteria don't flower for up to ten years from seed. Wisteria take A LOT of care to get them in shape for two weeks in the summer when they look their best. The rest of the time, they're mostly a pain in the rear end. In ground wisteria planted near structures like houses and sheds can rip off siding and even lift them off foundations is left unattended for years.

If you live in an area where wisteria lives in landscapes, you might want to find a more mature trunk you can collect--which is pretty easy with this species.

thanks for the info! I very much appreciate it. You’re the very first person to give me bonsai advice. Although a little disheartening, I’m going to stick with my seedlings. I’m very much enjoying the process and enjoying watching them grow. Even seeing the leaves reach up for the sun every afternoon is a highlight in my day.

BTrees3

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Sometimes negativity can take over a thread so just stopping by to say that everything rockm said is true, not knocking that but a positive to continue with your seedling, even if you do go find a more mature one you can propagate, if you can keep your seedling alive for 10 - 15 years and watch it flower for the first time, you will be 10X more proud then the one you propagated. So id say stick with your seedling but also consider what rockm said. Also keep in mind that every part of this vine is poisonous especially the seed pods, so if you have any pets like I do keep them away.
Thanks for the positivity Lemon Bonsai. I can’t (but more so can) wait for those first flowers to come out! I did not know that the vine is poisonous. My family is about to get a new puppy so that is very valuable information.

Glen Y

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I love growing from seed, even if I won’t see anything resembling pre bonsai for several years. I have 2 bald cypress ,grown from seed, that, after 3 years, are close to me beginning to think about starting to work them into bonsai.

I also have 5 camillas about the same age that should be ready in another tear or so.

please add your location to your profile, helps people to give assistance. Good luck

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the positivity Lemon Bonsai. I can’t (but more so can) wait for those first flowers to come out! I did not know that the vine is poisonous. My family is about to get a new puppy so that is very valuable information.
Ah good thing I said something haha. Also as a beginner you should get a few dofferent species so you can keep the hobby alive by always having something to do in it frequently. About 4 years ago I bought one tree and it died and i gave up. Later on I got back into bonsai and I have 12 species now to keep me busy.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi and welcome! I’m also very new to Bonsai, but “old” at growing things. Another option might be to put it in the ground (somewhere you can keep a close eye on it!) and maintain it there for a few years, enjoy the vine in its natural state, and then chop it back hard in a few years and pot it up. Because in the ground it will flower in 3-4 years, and it’s lovely! (Until it tried to yank my deck off - then not so much...)

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of the most important things we can convey to beginners when they show up is the blunt truth about a species they may have grown, been given, found, or bought and it's potential for bonsai. What we don't want is for them to wear themselves out on a species that's hard to grow for bonsai, get discouraged and move on to some less awesome pastime. Rockm is spot-on. Wisterias can make terrific bonsai, but usually only in the hands of a skilled artist who understands their horticultural requirements and how to train them. So my advice is always to get some easy species, Chinese elm is one that comes to mind, and as many specimens in pots to train as you can handle. You learn by doing, by killing some, by falling off the horse and getting back on. Good luck!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the kind of wisteria that make good and great bonsai. It (and about 4,000 other wisteria plants) grow wild in the woods around me. It's an invasive species. Some landowners will PAY you to take it. I have permission to collect this one, but it will take some work as it needs to be ground layered off of a very straight two foot long section above the roots. It's about as thick as my calf at ground level. And a pic of one collected by a friend of mine and potted.

They are not hard to collect from the wild. A beginner can do it with a little gumption and some elbow grease at the right time of year. Proper care is another story though, as flowering depends on pruning techniques and knowledge of how the plant grows. That takes some time. As Zach said, this species isn't as easy as some....

You don't give your location in your profile, but if it's in the eastern-southeastern U.S., you probably have similar naturalized wisteria near you.wistey.jpgwister2.jpg

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In regards to the toxicity of Wisteria and pets. I have had a pet get into and eat a LARGE amount of juvenile Wisteria right down to sticks! Thankfully there were no ill effects whatsoever but as you can imagine I was straight on the phone to the vet who assured me that only the flowers and buds pose the real threat, if you have a pet that accidentally noms on a few leaves or stems you should be fine.

However if in doubt call a vet and always keep the plant eater under observation until you are certain he/she is in the clear. For me the pet in question never showed any signs of discomfort or digestive issues despite pigging out on so many plants.

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe this video help you

In my experience, wisteria in pots never thicken, so, if you want a fat trunk, you should put it in the ground and let it grow, or look for a more thick material to start.

2012, in one "big pot"
cqs1334060325y.jpg

2020 after 8 years of "growth?"
5e994ef6446ea.jpeg

An airlayer of this one that y took on 2013

who was planted in the ground in 2014, looks like this in 2020, after 6 years.
20200418_133332.jpg

Vs the mother plant in the pot at the same moment!
5e994ee977b51.jpeg

So, I believe that it is not a matter or patience, is a matter of practicality: Put the seedlings on the ground or never ever will be thick!! :cool: .

Greetings

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In regards to the toxicity of Wisteria and pets. I have had a pet get into and eat a LARGE amount of juvenile Wisteria right down to sticks! Thankfully there were no ill effects whatsoever but as you can imagine I was straight on the phone to the vet who assured me that only the flowers and buds pose the real threat, if you have a pet that accidentally noms on a few leaves or stems you should be fine.

However if in doubt call a vet and always keep the plant eater under observation until you are certain he/she is in the clear. For me the pet in question never showed any signs of discomfort or digestive issues despite pigging out on so many plants.
What pet are you talking about?

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone that eats the plant, as you can see in wikipedia.

"All parts of the plant contain a saponin called wisterin, which is toxic if ingested, and may cause dizziness, confusion, speech problems, nausea, vomiting, stomach pains, diarrhea and collapse.[18][19] There is debate over whether the concentration outside of the seeds is sufficient to cause poisoning. Wisteria seeds have caused poisoning in children and pets of many countries, producing mild to severe gastroenteritis and other effects "

So better be careful, and put the kids and pets away.

Cheers

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
cat and he was absolutely fine, myself on the other hand almost had a full on panic attack. I was certain the entire thing was poisonous but the vet who was checking databases while on the phone assured me the seeds, buds and flowers are the dangerous bits and he had not injested any of that.
The cat ate about 12 juvenile plants right down to dirt level before being discovered. Was all leaves and stalks, not a single hint he had eaten anything bad. No illness whatsoever, in fact the a$# purred in my face totally proud of his gardening skills.

Best to avoid Wisteria completely if you have animals, but just wanted to provide some experience about if it happens.

Last edited:

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
cat and he was absolutely fine, myself on the other hand almost had a full on panic attack. I was certain the entire thing was poisonous but the vet who was checking databases while on the phone assured me the seeds, buds and flowers are the dangerous bits and he had not injested any of that.
The cat ate about 12 juvenile plants right down to dirt level before being discovered. Was all leaves and stalks, not a single hint he had eaten anything bad. No illness whatsoever, in fact the a$# purred in my face totally proud of his gardening skills.

Best to avoid Wisteria completely if you have animals, but just wanted to provide some experience about if it happens.
Are you sure the cat really ate it or just broke it? Cats and dogs play with trees and weeds sometimes, but they don't usually ingest them.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you sure the cat really ate it or just broke it? Cats and dogs play with trees and weeds sometimes, but they don't usually ingest them.
Absolutely 100% positive he ate them.
1) Because those plants were housed on a closed off sheltered balcony (because of what they are!) that he only gained access too because a door wasn’t closed properly.
2) He was still eating them at the time he was caught.
3) It was a calm clear day and was no scattering of leaves he nibbled. He had fully eaten anything he had chewed at. We are talking completely reducing them from healthy good sized juvenile plants to a mere green stub in the dirt.
4) That cat eats anything and everything he can swallow. I’ve even witnessed him steal any sort of food off an unattended plate. He was a rescue who had spent the 1st year of his life living on the streets and despite living like a king now he still has a bit of a paranoid mentality when it comes to food or anything else he thinks could be edible.

Iggybeck

Seed
Reaction score
Hello Bonsai People,

That’s awesome!! I harvested a bunch of wisteria pods & just yesterday got the seeds. How did you start these guys? I read a bunch & don’t know what the hell to believe. So I got a bunch of different pods at different stages of drying/maturity, etc., poked the end with a knife (they said it helps because of the hard shell🤷‍♀️?). I labeled the different seeds & have put some in water & will put some in a paper towell (I guess) just to see what happens. Science? Help!

BTrees3

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That’s awesome!! I harvested a bunch of wisteria pods & just yesterday got the seeds. How did you start these guys? I read a bunch & don’t know what the hell to believe. So I got a bunch of different pods at different stages of drying/maturity, etc., poked the end with a knife (they said it helps because of the hard shell🤷‍♀️?). I labeled the different seeds & have put some in water & will put some in a paper towell (I guess) just to see what happens. Science? Help!
Haha so it’s been a couple months since I started on my Wisteria. I don’t remember the process I used exactly, but heres what I can gather: I got some seeds from amazon; I let them soak in a jar of lukewarm water for 24 hours; and then put the seeds in some indoor potting soil. And thats really it for these guys! Two out of maybe eight Wisteria seeds sprouted, which I think took about 2-3 weeks. Some other seeds I’ve been trying to grow, I had in the fridge between damp paper towel for 6-8 months, and only 2 out of maybe 30 of those seeds sprouted, and of those 2 only one has survived (a Judas tree, which is doing nicely rn :) ). My two wisteria are going strong as well. Good luck with your bonsai endeavors! I’m very attached to my trees. It’s been an extremely fun and rewarding process, but also stressful and sad at times (all part of the process).

Also, I didn’t realize this online community was so active. Thank you to all who replied to my post!

Attachments

• 0A8C4F9A-594E-4D04-BB9C-10AE2F204093.jpeg
    0A8C4F9A-594E-4D04-BB9C-10AE2F204093.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DEBF97E3-C944-4E96-97D9-E96601B4E6AA.jpeg
    DEBF97E3-C944-4E96-97D9-E96601B4E6AA.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 23

Ferg91

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello Bonsai People,

Started bonsai from starter packs on amazon. I've had quite a bit success and over 50 wisteria seeds fail and 5 different ways to germinate fail. No idea if I got a bad batch of seeds from different suppliers on amazon or if I suck at life. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. If I can germinate stubborn seeds why won't my swollen wisteria penetrate and start doing seedling thangs. soshalp

Top Bottom