Wisteria cuttings flowering

Brandon Gilbert

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/1
So I have some wisteria that I will be training in some totes for bonsai. The cutting I received were hardwood, I have a few setting in water and a few that are in some perilite. About three days ago the cuttings developed, at the time I thought, leafbuds. Now the growths are more prominent and are clearly flowers there are no leave buds on them. Should I pinch the flower stems off and see if they develop leaf buds or just let them run their course?14551222686911035567630.jpg 1455122322741-2076844774.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Brandon Gilbert

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/1
The cuttings I bought were chinensis. I can adjust them to a more roomier environment. If these don't work, I will accept my losses as a donation to the eBay seller. I can't really complain on it, the cuttings only cost me a couple bucks. Definitely going to keep working toward it.

Last edited:

Brandon Gilbert

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/1
When I bought them they were just dead stick really. I have been trying to get them to root. I might pinch two of them off and see.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The cuttings I bought were chinensis. I can adjust them to a more roomier environment. If these don't work, I will accept my losses as a donation to the eBay seller. I can't really complain on it, the cuttings only cost me a couple bucks. Definitely going to keep working toward it.

If I tell you....someone here will Probly give you rooted cuttings for free.....

Will you make a donation to me?
I prefer PayPal and Priority shipping!

Lol....for real.....

Rooted cuttings. For free. Ask somebody!

Sorce

Brandon Gilbert

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/1
I didn't think I could ask that kind of stuff on here. I feel like a new kid at school for some reason, afraid to ask questions and all. Um, Sorce? How would you like your donation? Lol. Thank you all.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Buds crack, swell, and push out their contents by pumping up cells with water (by osmosis), regardless of whether it is a vegetative bud or a flowering bud (that morphed from a vegetative bud last fall). With any cutting, the only water that is available is in the cutting's wood, since it doesn't have any roots.

Roots will only develop if there is foliage (there are a few exceptions).

This is the catch twenty two with dormant cuttings.

One will enjoy much more success trying to root cuttings in leaf. Then one only needs to provide a humidity tent to reduce water loss through the leafs by transpiration (i.e., use a humidity tent).

Brandon Gilbert

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/1
Overall what actions should I do to hopefully get these sassy girls rooted?
Sassy girls being the cuttings.
I named one Sasha.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Buds crack, swell, and push out their contents by pumping up cells with water (by osmosis), regardless of whether it is a vegetative bud or a flowering bud (that morphed from a vegetative bud last fall). With any cutting, the only water that is available is in the cutting's wood, since it doesn't have any roots.

Roots will only develop if there is foliage (there are a few exceptions).

This is the catch twenty two with dormant cuttings.

One will enjoy much more success trying to root cuttings in leaf. Then one only needs to provide a humidity tent to reduce water loss through the leafs by transpiration (i.e., use a humidity tent).
only roots can push water? I thought cuttings could move a limited amount without them.

Brandon Gilbert

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/1
1455130842166-1179849410.jpg (Mei)14551310033451035567630.jpg (Sasha)
Ok so. I was looking at the bottoms of the cuttings and they have a lot of white bumps around the stem. Are these root formations?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Brandon, I'm taking cuttings of wisteria floribunda for another member here in the spring and can take some for you if these fail. I'd just want you to pay actual postage to get them to you. You shouldn't worry about asking for stuff here...

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok so. I was looking at the bottoms of the cuttings and they have a lot of white bumps around the stem. Are these root formations?

Looks to be BUT you cannot be successful unless you take them out of the water and plant them in perhaps a 50/50 mix of soil and sand, perlite or similar. They roots need to be able to grow, have access to air by draining, while still never going totally dry. Under water you would need an aerated, flushing, hydro system. Move them and leave the blooms alone after proper potting. If they do fail, I also have access to more as does Judy same deal. ;)

Grimmy

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
only roots can push water? I thought cuttings could move a limited amount without them.
Even though it takes a few days to happen, one part of the damage response to pruning is that living cells (in the xylem) clog up or seal off the xylem near the cut. Unfortunately, it takes longer than just a few days to make roots. So, you are correct but ....:(.

Top Bottom