Wisteria development advise

Fred1991

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey all.

I got this wisteria sinensis not actually being quite sure how to develop one of these things. I would love as much advise as i can get.

Here's the tree:

IMG_0638.JPG

my initial thought process was to pop it in a strainer like below and grow the roots ebihara style, and growing the trunk from the top left shoot as vigourously as i can and shaping from that. I'm thinking to keep the long shoot in the elbow to make up for the the slightly inverted taper? ( i was also considering cutting back to that shoot and instead using that as new leader?)

strainre.jpg

I've read from jonas dupuich that organic mixes is best suited growing trees faster? So maybe that would be a good substrate for this project at least for the first years to get it as vigourous as possible?

I look forward to hearing all you opinions on this project!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Jonas has a blog on substrate...akadama and pumice for wisteria. I just repotted my own into it.

When you grow a branch on the inside of a bend. It can thicken and take the movement seen almost way. You want branches on the outside of a bend to grow.

Wisteria, you can allow them to grow crazy long whips/tendrils. But evaluate because Bill V told me to remove them after a year if they aren't part of the final design to lesson scar on the trunk. I'm ground growing an American variety...and have one in the pot that is an Asian variety. (Not sure which one.)

I question the pond basket for a pot. These we set in a tray of water come warmer weather. I see it as a problem keeping moisture in the pot.

Fred1991

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks for you reply cadilactaste!

I would but it in akadama if it was further along the process but this has a few years on its way which is why i would consider just using an normal organic growing for the first years until a basic shape has been formed. And moving to an akadama mix later?

With the the branch on the inside. I know what you mean, however this bend is quite extreme so i was just gonna let it grow for a season or two and cut off flush with the trunk just to slightly thicken in that bend. Do you reckon i should cut of the other shoots and leave just the one leader shoot ?
Yes! this was my plan exactly!

Ye you could be right. my plan was to put the basket on top of ground soil to allow it to grow from the basket into to soil come summer. But maybe it's best to just do in a big regular pot. And if a plastic pot maybe just make a few extra whole's for drainage?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
General guidance says let them get pot bound if you want them to flower, hower if you want them to grow and get fatter then you need to let them grow some roots. I keep mine sitting in pot saucers all summer and water heavily to keep the growing. I let them grow out some the cut back to 2-3 buds, then repeat. This will give shorter internodes and more compact growth and branching.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
General guidance says let them get pot bound if you want them to flower, hower if you want them to grow and get fatter then you need to let them grow some roots. I keep mine sitting in pot saucers all summer and water heavily to keep the growing. I let them grow out some the cut back to 2-3 buds, then repeat. This will give shorter internodes and more compact growth and branching.
Boon told me to not prune until July. I'm sure there are more than one way to skin a cat though.

Pulled up my resource photo.

Screenshot_20210402-123124_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I don't know much about them. Oddly enough, got one just slightly bigger than yours this year. I do think you are supposed to keep them pot bound to best flower so not certain how that would work with the colander especially since they are also thirsty plants. May not make a difference.

Fred1991

Yamadori
Reaction score
Do you then just refill the saucer as soon as its empty?

I'm not to worried about the flowers for now i just want to build the basic structure of the tree first. so for now i want to just amp up the growth as much as possible. I have another wisteria in my garden for flowers haha

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

I'm not to worried about the flowers for now i just want to build the basic structure of the tree first. so for now i want to just amp up the growth as much as possible. I have another wisteria in my garden for flowers haha
Don't let the water get nasty. Heat of summer yes, add water. But keep in mind don't allow it to go stagnant gross either.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Let her run and train it as it goes over the years. Cut back to design at the end of the year.

Once they get going you have to sneak out in the early morning and beat it with a stick to keep it from over growing the bench during the day.

They are water hogs. Be careful! My wife said one grabbed the hose out of her hands when she got to close to one while watering.

Seriously though, we had both in potting soil, but this year we switched to Boon mix. I like the idea of akadama and pumice though.

Btw, these can actually be wired and will hold shape after awhile of wiring and rewiring. Let the wire cut in a bit. Then wire in other direction. Marks will grow out.

Here is the infamous Antler Wisteria getting ready to burst forth?

Cheers
DSD sends

C69867AC-371A-4793-A23B-49F46011D3FC.jpeg

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

I never have a problem with it getting empty, it fills up every time I water the plant. Plus it is a deep saucer. It is a good idea to dump it every few days to prevent mosquitos from breeding in it. If you want the plant to grow then I would not let it or encourage it to flower, keep the vegetative growth pushing out with regular fertilizer application. This should encourage the vegetative teas of flowers. You can always cut back heavily later if the branches get long and leggy. When I collected mine they were cut back the main trunk and sprouted out new buds all over within a month.

Top Bottom