Wisteria, does it have a chance?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
My grandmother had a old, healthy wisteria she had been considering pulling out for a few years. A couple weeks ago, she had is cut down, left about a 2 ft stump. I told her I'd dig it next spring, its just too hot and dry right now but she got impatient and had it ripped out with a tractor. She did pop it in a bucket of water for me though, so there is that. The trunk is skinned but not as badly as I expected considering how it was removed.

Its about 2 1/2 ft tall and of course, the base didn't come out nice, its all busted up and broke. There is only one root but its probably the size of a pencil and around 7" long with some finer roots off it. The base is 4-5 inches across. I cleaned up the broken mess best I could and put it in a large grow box. There are no leaves but there was new sprouts coming off the base.

Do you think this poor thing has a chance? There was also a small side shoot thats about a inch across but it has no roots. I planted it too in hopes it will survive and go into the yard. Sorry, no pics of the base/roots. I just wanted to get it planted after two days in a bucket.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
My grandmother had a old, healthy wisteria she had been considering pulling out for a few years. A couple weeks ago, she had is cut down, left about a 2 ft stump. I told her I'd dig it next spring, its just too hot and dry right now but she got impatient and had it ripped out with a tractor. She did pop it in a bucket of water for me though, so there is that. The trunk is skinned but not as badly as I expected considering how it was removed.

Its about 2 1/2 ft tall and of course, the base didn't come out nice, its all busted up and broke. There is only one root but its probably the size of a pencil and around 7" long with some finer roots off it. The base is 4-5 inches across. I cleaned up the broken mess best I could and put it in a large grow box. There are no leaves but there was new sprouts coming off the base.

Do you think this poor thing has a chance? There was also a small side shoot thats about a inch across but it has no roots. I planted it too in hopes it will survive and go into the yard. Sorry, no pics of the base/roots. I just wanted to get it planted after two days in a bucket.
I would have planted it in the bucket for a full season. It's easier to maintain the moisture level in a container and move them to an ideal sun exposure. these guys are thirsty. Hopefully it didn't go into full sun. Wisteria strength comes from it's roots and the fact that it had none is not a good sign.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I did plant it in a container, just not the bucket I brought it home in. Its still alive, throwing up shoots but the real test will be next spring.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have a pair lined up for collection muself so glad to hear they are basically cast iron. Fortunately I don’t have to dig them until next spring although the owner wants the vines cut back ASAP. Right now the vo es are 40’ long and invading the house.

Top Bottom