wisteria "hime fuji"

Tadakun

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm curious if anyone has any working knowledge of Millettia Japonica 'Hime Fuji' I picked one up from the local bonsai nursery and haven't found much info on them. I've read that they are rare to flower and some even said it's not a true wisteria. Either way it's an small attractive tree so if it doesn't ever flower it's still pleasant.
I've scoured through other wisteria posts on here and I gathered all of the info on how to get wisteria to flower. Hopefully someone can get me a definitive answer on this variety.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Millettia is not really wisteria. It is called "summer wisteria" because it looks like wisteria and is related.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hime Fuji, also called Ko Fuji, is indeed NOT a true wisteria. It is a Millettia, as the botanical name indicates. Since it looks like a Wisteria, it's called a Dwarf Wisteria because of the similar foliage (and flowers too!). Common names change by location. Remember the Jerusalem artichoke is not from Jerusalem and it is not related to the artichoke.

Yes, it's rare to see this Dwarf Wisteria flower, even in Japan. However, Boon in California has one which regularly blossoms and I've seen photos from it. Apparently he does nothing different to promote the flowers. I've also heard of another person reporting that his plant flowers too, but he drinks, so I my answer is based on Boon's first hand experience and also his photos. In fact, I sent photos to Omiya and was told they could make quite a bit of money in Japan if they could get their Dwarf Wisterias to blossom.

This rather unusual plant is cultivated for bonsai to enjoy the beautiful light green delicate foliage which resembles the larger Wisteria. Even without flowers it is a lovely plant. Several years ago I printed a rather complete article translated from Japanese in my International BONSAI magazine.

Good luck growing this plant. Remember, it needs a bit of extra protection in Vermont (Rochester too) because of the harsh winters. It does root easily during the summer.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Tadakun

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hime Fuji, also called Ko Fuji, is indeed NOT a true wisteria. It is a Millettia, as the botanical name indicates. Since it looks like a Wisteria, it's called a Dwarf Wisteria because of the similar foliage (and flowers too!). Common names change by location. Remember the Jerusalem artichoke is not from Jerusalem and it is not related to the artichoke.

Yes, it's rare to see this Dwarf Wisteria flower, even in Japan. However, Boon in California has one which regularly blossoms and I've seen photos from it. Apparently he does nothing different to promote the flowers. I've also heard of another person reporting that his plant flowers too, but he drinks, so I my answer is based on Boon's first hand experience and also his photos. In fact, I sent photos to Omiya and was told they could make quite a bit of money in Japan if they could get their Dwarf Wisterias to blossom.

This rather unusual plant is cultivated for bonsai to enjoy the beautiful light green delicate foliage which resembles the larger Wisteria. Even without flowers it is a lovely plant. Several years ago I printed a rather complete article translated from Japanese in my International BONSAI magazine.

Good luck growing this plant. Remember, it needs a bit of extra protection in Vermont (Rochester too) because of the harsh winters. It does root easily during the summer.

Hope this helps,

Bill

thanks to the both of you for your response, I just wanted a confirmation on this information. And actually I no longer live in Vermont (I'll have to get to change that info :D) I'm now living in the williamette valley in Oregon so I'm now a proud resident of zone 8 (it's a dream compared to zone 5). I talked to the guy who was attending the nursery yesterday and he said he had this particular plant and his hasnt flowered but he said in december and january that I should place the plant (and pot) on the ground and just mulch over the pot. The terra has enough heat if I do so to keep it warm enough.

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
in south africa our native tree wisteria [bolusanthus speciosus]is used as bonsai material.to get them to flower,i believe the soil has to be kept very wet + i presume as with most flowering trees in pots the rootmass should be kept large.....

Top Bottom