Wisteria leave problem

Lunarayve

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all

I got some bonsai seeds last year. Of the 20 pots I've planted only two have sprouted. A wisteria and a judas.

The wisteria grew really strongly initially, but now has stopped growth and its leaves are worrying me. I've attached a picture, they seem to be shrivling.

The plant is in my kitchen next to a window, it gets a fairly even temperature and lots of light. Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• 20210130_150212.jpg
    20210130_150212.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 43

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's Winter!

Moon Up!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would like to clear up some misconceptions you might have. Although starting wisteria seeds indoors is no problem, longterm they are outdoor bonsai. Additionally, they can grow several centimeters per day and will take at least 8 or so years to flower if grown from seed and in good conditions. If they dont get full sun or close to it, they may not flower at all or only a bit.

The seeds you got were not bonsai seeds, just seeds of species that are popular for bonsai. Only a lot of work turns them into a bonsai. But sellers call them bonsai seeds for marketing reasons.

The shriveling looks like drought damage, air indoors is usually dry, especially in winter, so they dry out rather quickly. Wisteria are tough though.

Lunarayve

Seed
Reaction score
I would like to clear up some misconceptions you might have. Although starting wisteria seeds indoors is no problem, longterm they are outdoor bonsai. Additionally, they can grow several centimeters per day and will take at least 8 or so years to flower if grown from seed and in good conditions. If they dont get full sun or close to it, they may not flower at all or only a bit.

The seeds you got were not bonsai seeds, just seeds of species that are popular for bonsai. Only a lot of work turns them into a bonsai. But sellers call them bonsai seeds for marketing reasons.

The shriveling looks like drought damage, air indoors is usually dry, especially in winter, so they dry out rather quickly. Wisteria are tough though.
Aaah ok, they did have some stones on top of the soil which I think my have covered up any dry areas of soil. I will make sure they get some water and stay moist.

Thank you very much for the info

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I couldn’t find any reference online for growing them permanently indoors. It seems challenging for the reasons mentioned above.

Also what direction is the window facing? It should get the maximum amount of direct sunlight, ideally south facing window. Light intensity is dramatically reduced going through windows.

Lack of humidity looks to be an issue with the leaves. You probably won’t remedy that with just soil moisture. Overwatering is bad also. Misting the leaves once or twice a day might help unless you have really hard water. Some trays with water setting around it might help. But a humidifier would be better. Below is the best link for temporary indoor care that I found. Good Luck!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Your location filled out in the profile would go along way for ones to offer you guidance. Location plays a huge part in timing when we do things.

I am ground growing an American Wisteria which was the sucker off the mother plant. I took the same size sucker and rooted it. In a pot you will not see significant thickness in girth compared to when the weather is appropriate...planting this in the landscape. You can train it while in the ground.

I half wonder if you have white powdery mildew forming...it could just be the way my monitor is picking up the lighting. This species really needs a dormancy period. Which won't happen inside your home. Look into ficus or bougainvillea for an indoor chosen species. Though all benefit from being outside when weather permits. This is a fun hobby...enjoy your journey.

This started from a 12" straight sucker at the base of the mother tree. I remove anything not part of the final image every new year. So keep scars from being grotesque.

This one has been in training since 2014.
Amethyst Falls/American Wisteria

Screenshot_20210130-122942_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20210130-122921_Firefox.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

You left the zero of the "80 years". Lots typogoofical errors here that we let slide, but that's a key one.

ThornBc

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Forsoothe! As an horticulturist I'm interested to find out the origin of your claim too. Also, I understand the frustration when people approach the art of bonsai with no apparent basic plantmanship knowledge (not a dig at you @Lunarayve, it happens), but this is not the first time I read an unnecessarily dry response from you. Why? You come across as condescending and I was under the impression this forum was open to anybody, not just "masterpieces".

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Forsoothe! As an horticulturist I'm interested to find out the origin of your claim too. Also, I understand the frustration when people approach the art of bonsai with no apparent basic plantmanship knowledge (not a dig at you @Lunarayve, it happens), but this is not the first time I read an unnecessarily dry response from you. Why? You come across as condescending and I was under the impression this forum was open to anybody, not just "masterpieces".
Dry humor. Sorry I didn't make you smile, but you can't please everyone with a response. Wisteria are difficult to make bloom and a greenhorn should be advised early in the game in order to avoid that which drives people away from bonsai in droves: failure of ~"experts" (perhaps the most loose term in the English language) from telling them not to expect flowering until many years in the future along with rampant growth that is hard to "style". The ~"experts" have a tendency to be critical of bad news regardless of how true or important it is, so it is left to people like me to butt in and tell them the awful truth. Wisteria seedlings in the ground often, -most often, do not bloom for twenty years, and it takes sever root pruning and/or limited root space like being trapped between two paved areas, to make the plant rootbound and begin blooming, otherwise the roots run wildly long. Once they bloom, the carry on, so standard advice is don't buy one unless you see it in bloom. Starting a Wisteria from seed is exactly the wrong way to achieve anything resembling positive feedback, feedback which is absolutely necessary for a reasonable person to continue the art and science of bonsai.

It gets worse. Cercis canadensis are also cautionary bonsai, too. They germinate well, but take a long time to flower and are subject to lots of pathogens and are often a short lived tree. While beautiful, they are less common than Wisteria in bonsai for a reason. Outside of that, nobody offered good alternatives for a beginner to get some more immediate positive feedback from self-planted seeds. Let's see how long this takes! There are always Mulberry and Elm in early summer and Japanese Maples, Amur Maple, Crabapples, various Oak and Dogwood, and Boxwood planted in landscapes that are close enough to foot traffic to acquire seeds from in September. 37 words missing from the above 9 responses. Citrus can be planted from the pips in the next one you eat and make nice houseplants. Easy, peasy.

ThornBc

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Forsoothe! My point was: I've came across greatly detailed, in-depth replies you've provided to folks who clearly needed to acquire more basic knowledge of how plants work before thinking of anything bonsai, and then I've came across your dry humour. When you put the time in to explain the reasoning behind what you're writing it helps, otherwise it might leave the aforementioned folks even more confused. It makes total sense a wisteria grown from seed in a small pot and just kept there might indeed take 80 years to flower as opposed to less than 10 if grown in the ground as it's general knowledge. It was obvious the original poster was a victim of the unscrupulous marketing of seeds as "bonsai seeds", and all other users added useful information to help her make something out of what she, sadly, spent money on. In this instance I think the dry humour just didn't serve the purpose you think it did, it can come across as off-putting rather than well intentioned. Another point is how different generations (and cultures!) convey humour online and how these differences can make it hard to communicate and render useless the use of humour itself, but that's just going too far, although something to keep in mind when writing on a forum with a very diverse user base. This said, I appreciate the knowledge you very often dispense, but only when it's in a format that serves a purpose!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Somebody missed the Worm Moon.

Top Bottom