Wisteria Leaves Turning Yellow

TN Jim

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Greetings. I am new to Chinese Wisteria and wanted to post on here to see if anyone had advice on why my leaves are beginning to yellow. Watering habits have not changed, fertilizer regimen is steady. I thought it might be Aphids and sprayed Sevin Ornamental/Flower spray (Had a Japanese Beetle issue as well).

I read it might be soil acidity and have not checked it yet, plan on purchasing a tester tomorrow since I do not have one yet.

What am I missing? Thanks.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_3303.jpg
    IMG_3303.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3304.jpg
    IMG_3304.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3305.jpg
    IMG_3305.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 44

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Looks like you have irrigation scale on some of the leaves. That makes me think that your water is not ideal for container growing. Have you had your water tested? The combination of high pH (8.0-9.0 typically) and high concentrations of calcium can cause other micro nutrients to not be available to the plant.

If you don't want to go to all the trouble of sending your water off for a test, then try letting us know more about your growing and fertilization regimen so we could make intelligent suggestions regarding what could be missing. Micro-nutrient upatake problems seems to be the most likely explanation but it's hard to tell exactily what is missing.

Nice chicken!

Last edited:

TN Jim

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Eric,

Thanks for the response. I have not had my water tested. I didn't think of that to be honest. Are you referring to the white on the leaves or the brownish discoloration? The white is the Sevin.

I use a diluted miracle-grow mix (roughly 3/4 scoop per watering can) and a Scotts Flower granule 10-10-10 every two months.

It is producing shoots and growing pretty good other than the yellowing. I'll check the Ph today and let you know. Thanks again for the help.

By the way, yeah, my chicken Peeps likes to photo bomb!

Jim

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Eric,

Thanks for the response. I have not had my water tested. I didn't think of that to be honest. Are you referring to the white on the leaves or the brownish discoloration? The white is the Sevin.

I use a diluted miracle-grow mix (roughly 3/4 scoop per watering can) and a Scotts Flower granule 10-10-10 every two months.

It is producing shoots and growing pretty good other than the yellowing. I'll check the Ph today and let you know. Thanks again for the help.

By the way, yeah, my chicken Peeps likes to photo bomb!

Jim

Wisteria do not like or need Nitrogen copied this from my notes -

Wisteria has nitrogen fixing capability (provided by Rhizobia bacteria in root nodules), and thus plants may benefit from added potassium and phosphate, but not nitrogen. Adding Nitrogen may also hamper blooming.

Honest Wisteria do not need a lot of other attention either. When I grow them they get one good blast of P and K in Spring and a light application after the hottest part of Summer. They prefer Full Sun and damp(not wet) good draining substrate. The leaf color I see there tells me one of two things. Either it to wet and not in full sun OR it is over fertilized. I would find it rather unusual for Wisteria to have fungal problems in full sun and well draining substrate. If however all new leafs turn yellow you should treat it with copper fungicide.

Grimmy

Last edited:

TN Jim

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wisteria do not like or need Nitrogen copied this from my notes -

Wisteria has nitrogen fixing capability (provided by Rhizobia bacteria in root nodules), and thus plants may benefit from added potassium and phosphate, but not nitrogen. Adding Nitrogen may also hamper blooming.

Honest Wisteria do not need a lot of other attention either. When I grow them they get one good blast of P and K in Spring and a light application after the hottest part of Summer. They prefer Full Sun and damp(not wet) good draining substrate. The leaf color I see there tells me one of two things. Either it to wet and not in full sun OR it is over fertilized. I would find it rather unusual for Wisteria to have fungal problems in full sun and well draining substrate. If however all new leafs turn yellow you should treat it with copper fungicide.

Grimmy

I appreciate the feedback. I tested my soil today and here are the results:

PH: 6.5
Nitrogen: Low
Phosphorus: Medium
Potassium: High

I used the Mosser Lee Soil Test Kit from Lowes.

I think you might be right about the fertilizer and water. I have my wisteria next to my two weeping willows and they get watered daily. I will move it near my every two day watering schedule and see how it responds. It's been fairly hot lately and I was concerned about them drying out. I'll back down the fertilizer and also monitor.

I appreciate the quick support and appreciate the help.

Jim

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No problem, and another "tip" is during ANY hot spell DO NOT fertilize. The extra water helps but fertilizer during those rough times only hurts. Trees, plants, vines all stress during those times so water and nothing else.

Grimmy

Top Bottom