Wisteria Mistery

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
In May 2006 I bought a Lavender Wisteria from eBay (Item #4458785039). The tree was shipped perfectly and was very healthy. But, something strange has happened to it last summer and this one as well:

At the end of summer, it drops its leaves, and then they regrow a couple of weeks after. I don't know if it is due to the Florida summer heat or if it is something natural for this tree. I repotted it last spring (2007) into a larger pot without disturbing its roots too much. It is starting to bud back after the last leaves dropped. I live in Tampa Florida zone 9B.

I have used the "Bayer Advanced All-in-one" fertilizer/systemic insect/disease control product as a fertilizer for all my plants during the spring and fall.

So, I'd like to ask you if this is something normal on this type of wisteria or this is due to something else.

I know how to take care of my trees, but there might be something particular I am missing about this species; if somebody knows please let me know.

Thanks very much

Attachments

• wisteria_sep_2008.jpg
    wisteria_sep_2008.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 93
  • wisteria_detail_sep_2008.jpg
    wisteria_detail_sep_2008.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 55

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Something must be going on with your tree. My wisteria are just now beginning to drop leaves. Never had a leaf drop mid summer and I could nearly throw a rock from my location to your location.

Why the systemic? I have found wisteria to be pest and disease free and never need to do anything for them.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Onlyrey,

It is not unusual for wisteria to look a little on the ragged side at this time of year. However, I would have to agree with Graydon that a total loss of leaves would tend to indicate a problem of some kind. I also agree with Graydon that in general, they are pretty much pest and disease free plants.

What type of soil do you use? How much water do you supply them during the summer months? How do you supply this water? How much direct sun light do they get?

Wisteria are water loving plants that like a lot of sun. If they are allowed to dry out for significant lengths of time they will become stressed. It has been my experience that an overly stressed wisteria will drop its leaves.

Regards,
Paul

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for the replies;

Graydon, I use systemic fertilizer/disease control with just every plant I have. I have stopped this fertilizer with this wisteria and turned to organic fertilizer.

PJkatich, The Wisteria receives a good amount of sun (probably 6 hours a day), and lots of water (needs daily). There was a week in which all my plants dried a bit too much (the old gf takes care of my plants while I'm on a trip story); it is next to a bougainvillea which didn't mind probably 3 days without watering during the summer heat. The soil is (if I remember correctly) 40% organic mix, 30% clay (aquatic soil), and 30% vermiculite (which I have stopped using in this proportion because even though it retains water well, I have the idea that roots just don't grow as readily when there it is abundant in the mix).

The concept that I had of wisteria is that they are very strong, as much or more than the bougainvillea which I could probably light on fire and it will still bud back and flower. But, there might be a bit of coincidence of summer mistreatment. I'm going to take a picture of its soil tonight as the problem might be hiding under the soil line.

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wisteria Mistery Soil Pictures

Here are the pictures; everything looks normal, no bugs detected running around, the drainage layer below was working, no weird smells from the root mass. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• wisteria_roots_soil_detail.jpg
    wisteria_roots_soil_detail.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 31
  • wisteria_roots_soil.jpg
    wisteria_roots_soil.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 49

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Onlyrey,

The posted soil photos look pretty normal to me and do not outwardly indicate a root problem.

What about the interior of the rootball? Did you leave any of the original soil on the root ball when you potted up this wisteria?

How did you plants fair during the recent run of storms? Mine took a pretty good beating during our dance with TS Fay and are a little more tattered than usual for this time of year.

Regards,
Paul

Reaction score
I live in southeastern AZ, and near the end of "summer" my wisteria drops some leaves before it actually goes dormant a few months later (whenever it gets cold enough). I always assumed it was reacting to day length issues. Otherwise, no problems growing this.
AM

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I collected a wisteria in Birmingham a few years ago and it has flowered every year. My experience is that the worse you treat it, the better it flowers. It is planted in rock, sand (yes, from the sandbox), and some bonsai soil mix (turface, bark, lava). It has not been repotted since it was collected in 2005, and is root-bound. I don't have any plans to repot it this spring either...sadistic, but effective. In the summer, it gets less direct sunlight, and I set the pot in a bucket of water for several days on end during the heat of August-September. I don't go out of my way to feed it either. It's only attractive for those few weeks it's in bloom, then it is just a jungle on the far corner of one of my benches. It does drop some leaves in the summer, but not all.

Attachments

• Wisteria 2007.jpg
    Wisteria 2007.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 40

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
BTW onlyrey, your wisteria has a great shape to it...much more natural than most out there (mine included)!

Top Bottom