Wisteria Mosaic Virus?

Rateeluck

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello,

I purchased 5 japanese wisteria sprigs in early spring and 2 of them are showing signs of the virus. The green near the center stem is almost see through. I thought maybe a disease or critters, didn't see any critters though. I'm not experienced enough to diagnose such things so any help is appreciated. Thanks

20210427_194813.jpg20210427_194803.jpg20210427_194759.jpg20210427_194755.jpg20210427_192559.jpg20210427_192604.jpg20210427_192555.jpg20210427_192548.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Plant virus can not be diagnosed from appearance alone. One uses appearance to make a guess, but the only way to diagnose with certainty is to perform a immunoassay test. There are test kits available, I am not current on prices.
This company provides both test kits for specific viruses and has a testing lab where you can send them samples. We used them when we owned a farm. Not for bonsai specifically. This company makes test kits for blueberry viruses, orchid viruses and viruses for a wide array of agricultural crops. They also make test kits to detect GMO plants. Want to know if your corn, apples or rutabagas are GMO, their test kits tests for the signature transgenic virus particles used to move around DNA.

Every County in the USA has a USDA Farm Extension Office. The Extension service is usually administered by your local Land Grant University. For example Michigan State University is the Land Grant University for Michigan. University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana is the Land Grant University for Illinois. Each county will have an Extension Agent who specializes in plant diseases. You might put a call into your local extension office and see what they say about diagnosing your problem or whether they have a local lab that can diagnose the problem for you.

This all said, IF THE WISTERIA CUTTINGS WERE INEXPENSIVE. Myself I would destroy the cuttings, burn or put in municipal waste. DO NOT COMPOST the infected plants. Throw out into municipal waste, or burn the soil they were in. Sterilize the pots they were in before reusing the pots. Wash your hands after touching the infected plants before handling any of your other houseplants, bonsai, garden plants or vegetables. The cost of testing for virus is probably more than the cost of your cuttings. It would be better to destroy the cuttings and start over with plants purchased from nursery that is USDA Inspected.

Mosaic virus are highly contagious. They are spread by cuttings tools, human hands transferring virus particles from infected plant to other plants. They can also be spread by insects that feed on the infected plants. Aphids are notorious for spreading virus.

Spend a little more. Only buy wisteria from a real brick and mortar nursery that maintains a USDA Certification. Ask the nursery about whether they virus test their propagation stock. If they do not, move on to a nursery that does. Many nurseries will buy only from wholesalers who maintain good disease control. For example Isle Nursery routinely tests their propagation stock for virus. Many retail nurseries buy from Isle because they know they will be getting clean, virus free plants.

So that is my suggestion. Burn your wisteria, start over. You don't have many years invested. It is cheaper to start over than to have these diseased plants spread the virus to other trees, houseplants and vegetables in your collection.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Only buy wisteria from a real brick and mortar nursery that maintains a USDA Certification.
I echo this for an entirely independent reason: wisteria are one of the most common online scams.

People purchase these online based on misleading pictures of breathtaking flowers. Often times photoshopped. Even if not, they'll claim it's some fancy or rare cultivar.

I can promise you it's not. The reason this scam is easy to pull off is that by the time the plant gets big enough to flower (which can take years), the scammer is long gone.

That's why you want to only purchase wisteria from a reputable nursery and when it's already got flowers. Otherwise there is absolutely no way to determine what they'll eventually look like.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
On the 3rd and 4th pic I believe those black dots to be scale.

Rateeluck

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
On the 3rd and 4th pic I believe those black dots to be scale.
I check on those dots again. It is not scale. It was sticky like sap or bug poop and wiped off easily.

@sorce those are just the way the leaves grow, not scale, I checked again.

When checking for scale this morning, I did see 2 aphids. Not sure if the aphids weren't detected there yesterday because I just watered or what. They are in quarantine but am prepared to trash the pot/soil/plant as @Leo in N E Illinois says. Not much invested and rather be safe then sorry

Thanks everyone for your help

Top Bottom