Wisteria - Not waking up in Spring

Heitor Silva

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey, guys, it is me again, again. So, I have acquired a Chinese Wisteria 4 months ago, when we were on the verge of hitting Winter. However, it has come to my attention that, even though temperatures started to hit 90 F (we are reaching spring here in Brazil), this tree hasn't showed any signs of progress at all. Since I am not so acquainted with this species, I would thankfully apreciate some insights from other people here: is this a normal thing with wisteria? Should I change any habits/care disposed to it? thx!!

GENERAL CARE:
-I keep the soil really moist, and water it 1-2 times a day during these months. I added some Sphagnum on its surface.
-I put some osmocot 15/09/12 on it in the last week. Also, I have started to use a weekly organic fertiliser.
-It is kept on a window which receives around 6h of sunlight.

IMG_20190827_211349.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There is no point putting fertiliser on a dormant plant. Wait until it wakes up.
Wisteria are normally a little later to start growing so there is still a chance that it will grow. None of mine have begun to move yet but I noticed some garden wisteria that have large flower buds getting ready to open.
Outside would be better if possible for wisteria I think.
The only other thing you may need is patience.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Was it kept inside all winter and given that much water while dormant? You have some large buds on it, are they full and smooth or have they started to turn dark and wrinkle? What kind if soil is it planted in?

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a fig that did not leaf out until July. I think it suffered some freeze damage but it came out with a vengeance and double its size in 2 months. I can't really say about you wisteria but maybe it is something similar.

Heitor Silva

Yamadori
Reaction score
Was it kept inside all winter and given that much water while dormant? You have some large buds on it, are they full and smooth ir have they started ti turn dark and wrinkle? What kind if soil is it planted in?

This plant stayed indoors during winter,and when it comes to watering, i would only water it when its surface became dry (so as to prevent fungus from proliferating).
Its soil consists of a 50/50 mix of dirt and gravel.
Buds didn't change a lot. From what I've seem, some of them have started to become yellow-ish, showing a smooth "furry" things. Will send photos later.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I suggest giving it more time.

I have three American wisteria and one Chinese wisteria (image below). I started growing them about 6-7 (maybe 8?) years ago (Chinese from seed, and the American from a cutting).
If there is one thing I have learned is to not pronounce them dead until they are looooong dead, and then wait some more, and then maybe a few months more.
We have named one "Lazarus" because it has been pronounced dead multiple times but keeps coming back to life. At one point it was "dead" well into summer, it was so "dead" that by the time I finished cutting back the dead material (dried and no moisture under the bark) there was nothing left but the root ball. Now it is full and growing like a weed and has flowered 3 times this year.
[A running joke in my house is to get my wife to declare a plant dead, because just about every time she does that it starts growing immediately after.]

I use a mostly inorganic mix, 8822 with a small amount of pine bark because my area tends to be very dry, and try to keep it damp but not wet. I let my Chinese get a bit dry this summer and the tips of its leaves browned so I gave it a humidity tray.
I winter mine in a "cold box" (small green house with heater to keep it from getting much below freezing) and keep them in full sun the rest of the year.

You said yours is behind a window...is this just for winter or all year? If all year, I wonder if was not getting enough light and went into dormancy already weak?

I hope some of this is helpful.

20190829_160753.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They are late to start in spring. I have a personal rule: never throw a plant away until it's been dead for 6 months. It has paid off several times.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Heitor Silva
Wisteria are a cold climate vine. They need a cold winter rest. There is no place in Brazil that is "too cold". Even on top of your tallest mountains, the wisteria would be fully winter hardy. You should have left it outside to experience the cold your climate has to offer. The buds have hormones that prevent growth until a certain number of hours of cold have been experienced. I don't know the specific number of hours, but I would guess somewhere around 800 hours below 4 C but above 0 C. They will tolerate cold to -32 C, but at temperatures below 0 C the enzyme / hormone mechanism for maintaining dormancy is not active. The "clock'' so to speak only ticks between 0 C and +4 C. Put it outside, it may break dormancy, possibly late. Next year, when winter begins, put the tree in your refrigerator. The cold in the refrigerator should be sufficient to meet chill requirements. Refrigerators have dehumidifiers in them so you may need to place the tree in a plastic bag to prevent excess dehydration.

For this year, just put it outside, and then next winter try using a refrigerator.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Heitor Silva
The buds have hormones that prevent growth until a certain number of hours of cold have been experienced.

That is interesting information! Now that I think about it the year mine spent so much time 'dead' I believe it had spent the winter indoors in a misguided attempt at protecting it from the cold!
The hardest part about learning something new is having to recognize how ignorant I had been previously.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
After looking at climate data for your area it does not appear that it gets cold enough to induce dormany for temperate plants there. Have you ever seen wisteria growing in the ground there? Did you purchase it locally? The refrigerator trick may be your only hope.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
But I want to emphasize, the refrigerator trick won't work this year, because Sao Paulo is already well into its Spring, so Summer will start soon. Just put it outside, and then sometime in winter of 2020 put it in the refrigerator.

Heitor Silva

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thank you guys. I am letting it outside during the rest of this year. I will try the refrigerator technique next year.
As for the tree itself, I have bought it with a seller from Parana, which is a state by the South of São Paulo. Guess I should be more careful when selecting trees, so as to avoid these cold-needing species...

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you guys. I am letting it outside during the rest of this year. I will try the refrigerator technique next year.
As for the tree itself, I have bought it with a seller from Parana, which is a state by the South of São Paulo. Guess I should be more careful when selecting trees, so as to avoid these cold-needing species...
Welcome to the club of never-ending education.

Heitor Silva

Yamadori
Reaction score
Look for a Brazilian rain tree or two, I hear they do well in your environs!
ARGH, I'm literally a potato!!! The Brazilian rain tree is actually a fairly common species here in SP, yet I forgot its existence! Will surely look foward to growing some here! Thanks ;D

Heitor Silva

Yamadori
Reaction score
@Heitor Silva
Wisteria are a cold climate vine. They need a cold winter rest. There is no place in Brazil that is "too cold". Even on top of your tallest mountains, the wisteria would be fully winter hardy. You should have left it outside to experience the cold your climate has to offer. The buds have hormones that prevent growth until a certain number of hours of cold have been experienced. I don't know the specific number of hours, but I would guess somewhere around 800 hours below 4 C but above 0 C. They will tolerate cold to -32 C, but at temperatures below 0 C the enzyme / hormone mechanism for maintaining dormancy is not active. The "clock'' so to speak only ticks between 0 C and +4 C. Put it outside, it may break dormancy, possibly late. Next year, when winter begins, put the tree in your refrigerator. The cold in the refrigerator should be sufficient to meet chill requirements. Refrigerators have dehumidifiers in them so you may need to place the tree in a plastic bag to prevent excess dehydration.

For this year, just put it outside, and then next winter try using a refrigerator.

Hey, Leo, btw, do you know where I can find info/articles regarding putting trees in refrigerators during winter? I have searched for learning material yesterday, but didn't find anything :c

Top Bottom