Wisteria Problem

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I collected this wisteria a few years ago and let it just grow. So far it has done ok, had blooms the first year but none since, new growth of leaves and small shoots, so I just let it continue. the other day when I was watering it has this fungus , I am guessing "rust" and appears a large part of the trunk is dead or dying. This just happened in the past couple of weeks. Is there anyway to stop this? We were having a lot of rain so I was not seeing the tree as often since I did not water it.
Thanks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Grab some pictures of the tree with details of the leaves and where you are having problems. This will help the community in helping you diagnose the problem.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Pictures will definitely help as we may see things you have not even noticed.
Wisteria wood is very, very soft and they do not heal over wounds very well so rotted trunks is common, usually starting from where a large branch has been pruned. This does not 'happen' suddenly but when we suddenly notice it is happening it may seem to be sudden.
I have not found any way to stop wound rotting but will be interested to hear from others with experience.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Collected wisteria can be unstable for years after they're dug up. Trunk die back is pretty common, particularly with larger trunks, although smaller ones can experience it as well. The fungus on the deadwood is unlikely the cause. It is more likely a symptom of the trunk's dieback. The issue is the root mass, it likely died back or didn't develop post-collection. Rain and wet is not a huge problem for wisteria. Drying out and heat can be. Need more info and pics, though.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
One of mine died on one side but retained several branches on the live side. So I just tilted iver with the dead side facing down and let the live branches do their thing. Looks better than it did before.

6A59DCEC-E93F-4856-B421-9EBAF0CB8839.jpeg

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the replies, I tried multiple times to upload the picture and it appeared it did upload the last time.
I will try again tonight... sorry about that, I knew picture was needed :rolleyes:

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think this picture uploaded.

Attachments

• IMG_.jpg
    IMG_.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 34

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The 'rust' appears to be fruiting bodies of a fungus which is probably feeding on the decaying wood. It is likely the fungi has been inside the wood feeding and dissolving the dead wood for some time. Fruiting bodies (like mushrooms) only appear when conditions are right, meanwhile the fungi is growing below the surface.
First point is that rotting trunk will rarely kill a tree. many trees live long lives with completely hollow trunk. All the living processes occur in the few outer layers of any tree trunk so the inner parts are really just structural.
Some fungicides will kill or slow wood decaying fungi. Lime sulphur is the traditional bonsai wood treatment that slows decay but there are newer chemical treatments now too.
It may be too late to stop your wood from getting real soft but only you can check that.
Many bonsai growers have been using wood hardener products to harden soft, decaying wood and preserve it for much longer.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That fungus isn't really an issue. It is, as said, growing on deadwood--which is dead. The dieback you're getting looks typical for what happens with some larger collected wisteria after a couple of years in a pot. It has to do with rot die back underneath the dead portion. I'd bet that dieback goes all the way down into the roots. The plant can abandon some weaker roots in favor of stronger roots on the other side of the trunk, which kills the portion of trunk above the weaker roots.

The plant will likely survive that dieback, as wisteria are extremely strong growers, BUT the end result could take a while to settle, with additional sections dying as well. Best to let the plant grow without any pruning, let it extend and strengthen next year. You can carve out the deadwood--using wood hardener on wisteria wood is mostly useless. The wood is extremely prone to rot and applying wood hardener to it will probably not stop the rot, as it will continue underneath the hardener. The solution to this is to allow the plant to grow well, filling in the carved out sections with callus tissue.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like the fungus I had on my dissectum for years (only dead parts)

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It looks like nectria canker to me.
If so, it is the maker of the deadwood and will continue to do so, if left be.

A systemic may work, but I found that cauterization can eliminate it. That is, sear the affected area plus a bit with a torch, similar to what is often done when making jins.

Lastly, if you,@ml_work, likely have something else with the same infection as it is very easily spread by pruning tools if you are not religiously sanitizing them before/after use.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the replies. I thought the fungus was on wood that was still alive, I look at and or water my trees at least 2 times in a week. Cannot believe I have not noticed the dead part before now. I have lime sulfur but don't know if I want to turn the dead part white.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the replies. I thought the fungus was on wood that was still alive, I look at and or water my trees at least 2 times in a week. Cannot believe I have not noticed the dead part before now. I have lime sulfur but don't know if I want to turn the dead part white.
If this was watered only twice a week, die back is inevitable. Wisteria use A LOT of water and dry soil will cause problems, like dieback. If you're not going to pay attention every day, putting the pot in a shallow pan of water (up to 1/2" from the bottom) can allow the plant to draw water consistently--of course in the heat of summer and exposed to a lot of sunlight, that water will be used quickly and evaporate. It will take some attention to prevent that from happening.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Rockm, i realize the trees should be watered more often than only 2 times a week and try to check them at least every other day, Things going on in "life" have prevented me to give my trees the attention they need, not much time for more than just making sure they do get watered. Which sounds like is the problem I am seeing with this tree. The tree is in a large nursey pot that is cut down and sitting at the outer edge of pine trees so it does not get direct sun. I see a lot of wisteria around here in the same setting, figured that would be good for this one and had seemed to be until now. Any recommendation's of what to put on the fungus ?

Top Bottom