Wisteria Seed(ling) Help

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I recently started these wisteria seeds and now I don’t know what to do with them because I didn’t put them in the cold yet! Should I keep them indoors or should I plant them outside?

Attachments

• A92A0B51-1488-41BF-8225-668B2A9BEDBE.jpeg
    A92A0B51-1488-41BF-8225-668B2A9BEDBE.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 25

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cold hardiness is developed by the pattern of progressively excursions to colder temperatures. Judging by Newark = New Jersey, you could put them outside now and they will likely be just fine. Overnight lows are 40-ishF, though it did get down to 28F a few days ago. What is damaging is sudden cold like being in balmy 50Fs and then 20F that night. This is bad for just about everything. If you see it coming, bring it in overnight, otherwise .they'll be fine outside.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can grow them on your living room window this winter, I have done so 2 times without problem. But let them rest from next winter on.

These things are hard to kill

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
they’re hard to kill, above the law, & out for justice

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice to see someone else with them.. The neighbour had a mature wisteria next door, I took seeds 3 years ago and been growing them ever since. My ones were grown in a small seedling tray on the window sill. They were upgraded to bigger pots afterwards then I simply danced them in and out of the house, 1 warm day outside, inside at night, out, in, out out, in, out out, in, out out out... etc. Adjusting to the weather but obviously if the timing is now that its winter and they've never been outside, in my climate, I would have kept them inside till Spring. No point risking anything, unnecessary. Then start the dance in Spring.

My biggest one in the ground for a year. The ground really accellerated things.
DSC_2537 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

June 2019
DSC_0572 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

I plan to get them all in the ground, I've not got many pics of them at the moment, they are not interesting lol.

Top Bottom