Wisteria? Where can I get one?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I've been admiring a lot of purple wisteria bonsai online lately and want to know where to find one. Is this something I could get at a nursery or do I have to order one online as prebonsai? Anyone have any experience with these? are the good for bonsai/ easy to care for? Any info would be appreciated!
Thanks
Zac

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 53

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Anywhere. They should be blooming where you are right now which makes them easy to spot.

Search the forums for care and cultivation info; plenty has already been written.

I have one in the ground that needs to be dug up. It's ugly but has bloomed. LMK if you can't find one and I'll give you a good deal.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks Brian. I'll do some research and my search will begin asap. I'll let you know of my findings.
Thanks again!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A mite too early for bloom here in Va. But keep an eye out. Chinese Wisteria is EVERYWHERE. Blooms should be showing in the next two to three weeks, maybe sooner with the warm stretch of weather headed our way. Look for the blue blossoms in the woods, follow them downwards. Sometimes you find a great trunk at the end, sometimes not. BTW, it can take a bit of effort to get them to bloom in containers, correct pruning, root care, etc. Also, like vampires, once you invite them into your yard (Even in a container) they can take over VERY quickly. Their roots in the ground can actually damage building foundations and their top growth can tear down sheds, pull gutters and siding off your house if left alone. Remember, if you get one, you asked for it. ;-)

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Last year I found a small one in the middle of a field. I litteraly ripped it out of the ground and put it in my yard. Has taken over one of my flower beds. There everywhere in my area and mine is a week away from blooming.

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks Brian. I'll do some research and my search will begin asap. I'll let you know of my findings.
Thanks again!
Hey, if you don't mind digging, you can look on craigslist. Someone is always wanting to get shrubs and trees dug up out of there yard....for free. and with age.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Definitely keep it potted and expect to do a lot of trimming once it is established. It needs NO special treatment or soil but prefers damp feet. This one is 48-50 years old, easily 50 feet wide, and grows up several trees 20 to 35 foot. Although I am pulling the main trunk this year I expect the rest of it will just re-root :eek:

Grimmy

Attachments

• Wisteria 2.JPG
    Wisteria 2.JPG
    614.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Wisteria 3.JPG
    Wisteria 3.JPG
    483.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Wisteria.JPG
    Wisteria.JPG
    353 KB · Views: 44
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey, if you don't mind digging, you can look on craigslist. Someone is always wanting to get shrubs and trees dug up out of there yard....for free. and with age.
I have an add up there now. Lol they only response I've gotten was for some Burberry bushes

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have an add up there now. Lol they only response I've gotten was for some Burberry bushes

I won't be collecting that monster until early Summer. If you can't seem to connect with one by then I will be more then happy to send a few large cuttings. I have made several nice ones from the plant already and they grow from cutting so easily I gave them all away to anyone that was interested. I am taking the main stump and this time will refrain from starting more as they can be a real handful. At that time I had a LOT of trees and they were just to much in addition to the others. A single one will fit in my new location and the only reason I feel I can handle it is because my total tree population will be 25 or so.

Grimmy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Grimmy, That ain't a monster. They must stay small up there in the cold weather ;-).
This is an average trunk for a younger (5-10 years old) here in N. Va. The further south you go, the bigger and faster they grow. Potential collected specimens shouldn't really be measure by how wide the foliage is or how high they grow. Collecting one is all about the first five feet of trunk and nothing else.
https://robininva.wordpress.com/
There are literally hundreds this size and larger all through the woodlots near my house. Collecting them can be problematic as trunks tend to die back, sometimes significantly, when they're chopped and dug up. That die back can continue for a while (a season or three) as the plant adapts to "captivity." Sometimes the 12 inch diameter trunk you dug up turns out to be a five inch diameter trunk with a lot of hollows and missing pieces. Also it can take some hard pruning and attention to roots to get collected wisteria to bloom reliably. Some aren't old enough to do so others have to be coaxed.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Grimmy, That ain't a monster. They must stay small up there in the cold weather ;-).
This is an average trunk for a younger (5-10 years old) here in N. Va. The further south you go, the bigger and faster they grow. Potential collected specimens shouldn't really be measure by how wide the foliage is or how high they grow. Collecting one is all about the first five feet of trunk and nothing else.
There are literally hundreds this size and larger all through the woodlots near my house. Collecting them can be problematic as trunks tend to die back, sometimes significantly, when they're chopped and dug up. That die back can continue for a while (a season or three) as the plant adapts to "captivity." Sometimes the 12 inch diameter trunk you dug up turns out to be a five inch diameter trunk with a lot of hollows and missing pieces. Also it can take some hard pruning and attention to roots to get collected wisteria to bloom reliably. Some aren't old enough to do so others have to be coaxed.

I have never seen the actual ground level base on it but if it is similar to others there it should be an 8 inch or bigger trunk(hoping bigger). Grandmother is only 90 pounds but she told me a few years back she can walk in the large horizontals at the end of winter. Those pictures were just and example of a single wild one there and those pictures were the only time I had ever been back there. Next time I am there maybe I can get some pictures and investigate it more. Also get an idea how big the verticals are growing up the trees but I suspect they are pretty big. Thanks for sharing - those are far better pictures then my casual shots :)

Grimmy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I won't be collecting that monster until early Summer. If you can't seem to connect with one by then I will be more then happy to send a few large cuttings. I have made several nice ones from the plant already and they grow from cutting so easily I gave them all away to anyone that was interested. I am taking the main stump and this time will refrain from starting more as they can be a real handful. At that time I had a LOT of trees and they were just to much in addition to the others. A single one will fit in my new location and the only reason I feel I can handle it is because my total tree population will be 25 or so.

Grimmy
Thanks Grimmy. I hope to have one by then (fingers crossed) but I'll definately keep you in mind. Really appreciate the offer!
Zac

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Where do these tend to grow? I live close to the shore and it's really "floody" near my house. Do you think I'll find one there? Or should I go more inland?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Up here they grow everywhere they can but we are about an hour inland. They prefer dark rich damp soil but will grow in anything. This Wiki article has a decent description and might help you out. You could also call a few local Nurseries and see what they all say about it in your area - do not tell them they are for Bonsai(prices go up).

Grimmy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They grow anywhere and I suspect grow more freely the closer you get to the shore--warmer more humid. Good places to find wild, "escaped" specimens tend can be older home sites, abandon farms, plantations, etc. Golf courses can also yield substantially-trunked specimens. One golf course near me has an area where they dump cuttings, tree limbs, old shrubs, etc. The woods near that is filled with escaped wisteria that had been cut down, chopped up and thrown on a heap. the chopped up pieces took root and went wild.

Wisteria is adapted to using OTHER trees to survive. It's top growth needs full burning sun, while it's roots like to be cool and moist. It typically climbs to the top of a host tree, spread out limbs and sucker growth and shades out the host. all the while its roots remain in the cool understory soil. This behavior is why its considered a destructive invasive.

BTW, a few other invasive vine species in Va. can make good bonsai too. Oriental bittersweet, for instance, can be more common than wisteria. Trunks are usually more muscular looking and have finer bark than wisteria. It's also a bit more capable of ramification. Trumpetvine, or "cow itch" vine is another bonsai candidate.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, this plant is an ugly pain in the butt once it finishes flowering. It's only beautiful for about a week, then it becomes a rampant vine and sucker throwing monster that has to be clipped back from late April to September.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Also, this plant is an ugly pain in the butt once it finishes flowering. It's only beautiful for about a week, then it becomes a rampant vine and sucker throwing monster that has to be clipped back from late April to September.

We agree on that Sir :eek: I can only handle owning one based on having several and giving them all away in the past - they are indeed time hungry.

Grimmy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Well I better get picture of it flowers then . I'm interested in trying it out and need a fast grower to keep me busy anyway.
Thanks for all the info!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have dug more than a few and have given them all away except for one too. :)...

Top Bottom