Withered new shoots on a healthy Japanese Maple

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
I wonder if anyone has ever experienced something like this. The new shoots on my Japanese Maple that came out in mid June were healthy and growing fast at the beginning. Since a few days they look withered and do not recover during the night. On the other hand the first leaves from Spring look fine and hydrated.
Today I cut them but you can still see some new leaves.
The plant takes sun from late morning to early afternoon from the top (not directly on the pot).
Could it be that the younger leaves on this species (Deshojo) are very sensitive to direct sun light?
Could it be the fertilizer? I don't think it got too much but the moss went brown lately.
Do you have any idea?20160709_100714.jpg 20160709_100729.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks like it dried out on you briefly at some point recently. New foliage is more susceptible and responds like this.
Chemical ferts contain salts, if you're using them in a too-heavy concentration, it can have the same "drying" effect.

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm happy to hear the plant itself should not be in danger.
I'll skip fertilizing it for a while, then dilute it more and I'll keep it in a more shady place.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Don't worry about it. And as Brian said careful with the chemical fertilizers. It has happened to me as well. :rolleyes:

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Don't worry about it. And as Brian said careful with the chemical fertilizers. It has happened to me as well. :rolleyes:
This may be the reason for my only JBP demize:( healthy 2 weeks ago pushing new needles, now it's wilty and pale green:oops:.
Now I know for my next one.

Aaron

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't think it's much to worry about, good watering and normal routine of fert like these guys mentioned.

Could be worse, could be my leaves.

image.jpeg

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thats not even funny lol.. Its really not!

If I hadn't already made a topic and had pages of conversations about it, I'd be so worried right now.
Conor, what was the result of that thread? I have a JM that is doing that. It also has a small area on the trunk that is black, and I'm thinking/hoping it just died down to the nearest internode.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Conor, what was the result of that thread? I have a JM that is doing that. It also has a small area on the trunk that is black, and I'm thinking/hoping it just died down to the nearest internode.

Ill PM you, I don't wanna hijack ajm's thread. :)

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mine had also a black piece of thrunk, got bigger and guess killed it. I think you need to take action, I tryed waiting and it doesn't help.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Mine had also a black piece of thrunk, got bigger and guess killed it. I think you need to take action, I tryed waiting and it doesn't help.
Black trunk with wilted leaves can be a sign of the dreaded verticulum wilt which is almost 100% fatal and incurable from everything I have seen and heard- Hope it is not that!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Black trunk with wilted leaves can be a sign of the dreaded verticulum wilt which is almost 100% fatal and incurable from everything I have seen and heard- Hope it is not that!

It also can be the very similar looking pseudomonas syringae, a bacterial disease that fortunately is treatable and not necessarily fatal. I have had two cases of it and was able to treat effectively in both cases.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Regarding black trunks...I've noticed that sometimes when you trim a branch (leaving no growth above it), that segment will often turn brown/black and die back down to the nearest node. If that is what is happening, it's probably OK. The big problem is when a normal, healthy segment of trunk or branch (with plenty of growth above it) starts turning black. That's what happened to my Kiyohime (in http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/maple-disease-repotting-fungicide-questions.23077/) this spring, it was some kind of infection that eventually killed the whole tree.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Regarding black trunks...I've noticed that sometimes when you trim a branch (leaving no growth above it), that segment will often turn brown/black and die back down to the nearest node. If that is what is happening, it's probably OK. The big problem is when a normal, healthy segment of trunk or branch (with plenty of growth above it) starts turning black. That's what happened to my Kiyohime (in http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/maple-disease-repotting-fungicide-questions.23077/) this spring, it was some kind of infection that eventually killed the whole tree.
Did it spread to other plants? I have another plant with an dark /back non-vigorous branch, I cut the entire branch / trunk off on that height just to be sure, the rest of the plant is doing very good.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, at least not yet. As I mentioned in that thread, the tree spent the winter in an enclosure with other trees, none of which have been affected. During the spring, it was out in the vicinity of other trees when I noticed the first symptoms, so far no evidence of spread.

Top Bottom