Wizard of Oz Trident maple.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love this time of the year when stuff wakes up. Miracle of nature.

Attachments

• DSC_00100010.JPG
    DSC_00100010.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC_00110011.JPG
    DSC_00110011.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_00120012.JPG
    DSC_00120012.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_00130013.JPG
    DSC_00130013.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 81

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice...we have about 5 weeks until we see that here.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love this time of the year when stuff wakes up. Miracle of nature.

Rub it in Al... just rub it in! lol :) (-40 with wind chill tonight.)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looking great, thanks for the bud pics, I love that phase.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
During the swapmeet yesterday, I was able to interview Ed Clark for a piece I wish to do for my blog, "Spotlight on Artists".

Ed told me that this maple was planted from seed in 1981.

You will have to read the whole article when it is posted on my blog. This man is really talented and what he is doing for bonsai is a miracle.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Did you repot this year into your new substrate? Will be interested to see how it compares to your old mix. Hard to believe it's spring there already.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you repot this year into your new substrate? Will be interested to see how it compares to your old mix. Hard to believe it's spring there already.
Yes I have. I will be interested too.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I can't believe the before pic of the root ball. That is crazy. How did it grow in that? How long was it like that?
Great tree. Great price. Nice find.
Why would he let it go for that price?
Hmm??

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't believe the before pic of the root ball. That is crazy. How did it grow in that? How long was it like that?
Great tree. Great price. Nice find.
Why would he let it go for that price?
Hmm??

It grew in that because the tree did not know any better. Trees are growing inanimate objects that can't complain about soil or water. What we as humans think is difficult for a plant to grow in makes no difference to the plant. It just adapts. It does this by stunting, strange stunted branches, reduced height, short internodes and needles, which is why collecting from the wild in terrible places for plants to grow provides plants with unique attributes for bonsai.

The reason why the plant was offered so cheap was that this particular grower was a commercial grower for retail nurseries of Japanese maples of all cultivars. In his business trees like this were of no use to the nursery trade. The man dabbled in bonsai over the years and so used these plants for his personal use and when he retired, decided to grow bonsai on a large level since he had the material and the nursery. In the beginning he had no idea what the market would bare.
He has soon found out and his prices are now on par with any other grower of bonsai material.

Not only that...... he has a lot of maples!

020.JPG 021.JPG DSC_00520052.JPG DSC_00530053.JPG DSC_00540054.JPG DSC_00600060.JPG

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It grew in that because the tree did not know any better.
This changes things for me. I have never collected trees. I haven't seen them in harsh areas. I will look.
Thank you for sharing. Please update with future progress when available.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This changes things for me. I have never collected trees. I haven't seen them in harsh areas. I will look.
Thank you for sharing. Please update with future progress when available.
Thanks, glad you could gleen some info from this. Changes in trees is best when reviewed about every two years. The changes then can be very dramatic indeed.

Top Bottom