Wollemia

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thought I'd share my new acquisition of a Wollemi Pine here as frankly I think it's pretty cool.

Not a great deal to see really but thought some may be interested in it @AlainK mentioned one the other day.

There is lots of info on these here
wiki is not bad either.

IMG_6107vd.jpgIMG_6109sed.jpgIMG_6110dv.jpg

It came pretty loosely packed in soil so I'm going to find a bigger pot for it and have it as a patio plant. Maybe if I can be successful propagating it I would probably try bonsaiing one of the babies but really I just want to keep it alive and enjoy it for what it is.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Very cool tree! I've read about these - awesome that you were able to find a specimen!

Yeah they are definitely interesting, thought to be extinct and only found in the fossil record until someone stumbled across a small patch in 1994.
There are only less than a hundred left in the wild so they are a special tree. Like I said keeping it alive is a priority.

I had been looking for one for a while but most of Europe seemed out of stock the last year or so. I was on a mailing list for when they came back but never received a heads up. Then they were mentioned in another thread which reminded me to check and sure enough they were in so I snapped one up.
Pricey but I have paid more decent pre bonsai stock so it wasn't too much.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
awesome that you were able to find a specimen!

It must be available in California too, though they're very pricey everywhere: a good part of the money goes to maintening the species and nature reserves in Oz.

Here you can order a 20-30 cm tall one online for about 100 €, about $120 I guess. Very expensive, that's probably why one that there is a city park, about 2 metres tall now is not labelled ;)

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They have one at the Huntington Gardens. It’s outside the Conservatory, you walk right past it for Bonsai-a-thon! It’s the only one I’ve ever seen.
AD7278ED-0BCC-4031-A35E-1352FA02B7E0.jpeg74B7DC4F-2AF2-4949-9788-F0BEE3BBE610.jpeg

Top Bottom