just what you need, a few more concave cutters. :p

nice one Dario! looks like a sweet set.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Where did you win this and how? Raffle?
At the LSBF/ABS/SABS convention...I won 1st prize Artist's Choice for the upcoming/emerging talent competition :eek: and got the Ryuga set as the prize.

The oak and mags are through the raffle.

Last edited:

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
At the TTSBE/ABS/SABS convention...I won 1st prize Artist's Choice for the upcoming/emerging talent competition :eek: and got the Ryuga set as the prize.

The oak and mags are through the raffle.

Congrats. Post a pic of the trees you entered.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We started with something like these...
View attachment 34207

Mine came out like this...
View attachment 34208

I think the biggest challenge is choosing the way to go and finding a tree out of the material...it is just a mound of green hugging the soil. I chose to tilt mine up about 40 degrees, my thought was either that or go downward and do a cascade.

It was fun and I met a lot of bonsai folks in the process. Some are doing bonsai since before I was born!!! :eek: Today, I will go back with my wife and daughter in tow. :cool:

I have convention pics but quality is not too good (shadows from the flash throws the images off) so I will wait for better pics someone promised me before posting any.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice! Good looking set of tools, good looking tree you made!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Congratulations! Looks like a good convention, try to post a few of the better pics if you can...

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Congrats! Any more pics of that huge trident Colin Lewis worked on?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At the LSBF/ABS/SABS convention...I won 1st prize Artist's Choice for the upcoming/emerging talent competition.

Very nice accomplishment. Congratulations on winning validation for your hobby.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks guys.

Congrats! Your tree looked great. Were you allowed to keep it?
No, they will auction it off. I was told I can bid on it if I want but I probably won't.

Congrats! Any more pics of that huge trident Colin Lewis worked on?
Not yet. I left at 9pm and they are still working on their trees. I will take some pics in a few minutes.

Dan told us the boxwood is normally a 20 hour styling so he might not finish given the 2.5 hour demo time. Colin Lewis worked on 2 trees since he said his is less work than the other 2 but when I left he just finished his elm and barely started his trident. These demo trees are all going to be raffled off on Sunday.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Congrats Dario!! Well done on your juniper and your winnings! Thanks for sharing this wonderful event.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Congratulations. Nice job on the tree. All those trees have a great future, but that yaupon holly is going to be incredible. Of course, I am partial to shohin. :D

Rob

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks!

It is amazing how much you can learn listening from 3 different artists (even when their approach are contradicting sometimes). I got lucky...though I did not take any demo, I actually got to observe most of them and even talk to them while on break. All very nice guys...very different approach...very knowledgeable and have contagious enthusiasm.

The part I loved (and helped me) the most are the artist's critique of the show trees. :)

It is a very refreshing experience and looking forward the next convention (2014) in Houston. :)

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks!

It is amazing how much you can learn listening from 3 different artists (even when their approach are contradicting sometimes). I got lucky...though I did not take any demo, I actually got to observe most of them and even talk to them while on break. All very nice guys...very different approach...very knowledgeable and have contagious enthusiasm.

The part I loved (and helped me) the most are the artist's critique of the show trees. :)

It is a very refreshing experience and looking forward the next convention (2014) in Houston. :)

Yes, just looking at their work can teach you amazing things about form and structure. Over the years, when the masters visit the nursery, they style a whole bunch of trees for the owner. Just walking around and looking at what they have done can be an education in itself.

Rob

Top Bottom